Weather Forecast


Ask a Conservation Officer: Resident licenses

Q: I'm a recent transplant to the state. Do I have to be a permanent resident in Minnesota for a specific amount of time before I can purchase resident game and/or fish licenses?

A: Yes. For purchase of resident licenses, 'residency' refers to a person who maintains a legal residence in Minnesota for at least 60 consecutive days prior to purchasing a license. If they are older than 21, they must present a current Minnesota Driver's License or ID card to obtain that license. A personal younger than 21 years old who is the child of a residence qualifies for resident license purchase.

Full time students enrolled at a college or university in Minnesota can obtain a license at the resident rate by showing proof of enrollment.

Members of the U.S. Armed Forces who are not Minnesota residents but are stationed in Minnesota, and their spouses, also qualify to purchase a license at the resident rate.

See the license section of the Hunting or Fishing Regulation Synopsis books for more information on license fees and types.

Send your questions to

Matthew S. Miller is a Minnesota Conservation Officer with the Lake Superior Marine Unit.