• Now through May 4 — Wisconsin early inland catch-and-release trout season.
• March 31 — Brule River steelhead opener.
• April 14 — Minnesota stream trout in streams opener.
• May 5 — Wisconsin general fishing opener; Wisconsin largemouth bass season opener, north zone; Wisconsin inland trout opener.
• May 5 to June 15 — Wisconsin smallmouth bass catch-and-release bass season opener (northern zone).
• May 12 — Minnesota general fishing opener (walleye, northern pike, lake trout; also smallmouth and largemouth bass north and east of U.S. Highway 53 from Duluth to International Falls). Minnesota stream trout in lakes opener.
• May 12 — Minnesota catch-and-release smallmouth and largemouth bass season opener south and west of U.S. Highway 53 from Duluth to International Falls.
• May 12-13 — Minnesota Take a Mom Fishing weekend.
• May 26 — Minnesota smallmouth and largemouth bass season opener south and west of U.S. Highway 2 from Duluth to International Falls.
• May 26 — Wisconsin muskie opener, north zone.
• June 2 — Minnesota muskie opener.
• June 2-3 — Wisconsin free fishing weekend.
• June 16 — Wisconsin smallmouth bass season opener.
"At a certain point, you say to the woods, to the sea, to the mountains, the world, Now I am ready. Now I will stop and be wholly attentive. You empty yourself and wait, listening."
— ANNIE DILLARD
If you want to hole up and read a book that will make a Minnesota winter seem downright reasonable, check out former Ely resident Dave Olesen's book, "Kinds of Winter." Olesen and his wife, Kristen, live on the northeastern lobe of Canada's Great Slave Lake. His book chronicles four extended dogsledding trips Olesen made over a period of years, one in each cardinal direction from his home.