ST. CLOUD - Third-ranked Minnesota Duluth thought it would begin Friday’s overtime period against top-ranked St. Cloud State with 30 seconds remaining on a power play.

Instead a video review after the third-period buzzer put the Bulldogs down a man and the NCHC regular-season champion Huskies converted on a controversial power play for a 4-3 overtime victory before a crowd of 5,135 at Herb Brooks National Hockey Center.

UMD and St. Cloud State close the regular season at 4:07 p.m. today back in St. Cloud in a game that will be aired on Fox Sports North.

“Tough bounce to end there,” UMD sophomore defenseman Mikey Anderson said. “They are a great team. It’s just the way hockey goes. Some days you’re getting bounces, some days you aren’t. We’re looking forward to getting another shot at them tomorrow.”

A contact to the head major and game misconduct assessed in between the third period and overtime to UMD freshman wing Noah Cates turned the first 30 seconds of overtime from a UMD power play into a 4-on-4 track meet. The Huskies then went on the power play and scored on a deflection with 1:44 remaining.

Freshman defenseman Nick Perbix was credited with the game-winning goal - his second power-play goal of the night. The officials reviewed to see if the goal was kicked in. They said it wasn’t, but Bulldogs coach Scott Sandelin disagreed with the call, as well as the one on Cates.

“There are things at the end you can’t control. I disagree with the call,” Sandelin said. “That’s tough to take. I thought our guys played a good hockey game.

“It’s hard sometimes when you feel like a game gets away from you out of your control. They are a good hockey team. I’m not taking anything away from them.”

Huskies sophomore goalie David Hrenak made 25 saves while Bulldogs junior goaltender Hunter Shepard stopped 24 shots, including three in overtime.

Senior wing Patrick Newell and freshman wing Micah Miller of Grand Rapids put the Huskies ahead by a goal on two occasions in the opening period, but the Bulldogs had a response each time.

Junior fourth-line center Jade Miller tied the game at 1-1 with just his second goal of the season, scoring on a snipe just 82 seconds after Newell scored on a power play. Cates tied the game again at 2-2 with less than a minute to play in the first. Like Miller, Cates’ chance - that resulted in the rookie’s ninth goal of the year - came on the doorstep of Hrenak.

The Huskies took a third one-goal lead just under five minutes into the third period thanks to Perbix, but again the Bulldogs were able to respond. Junior wing Riley Tufte tied the game a third time with his seventh goal of the season and sixth on power plays. From the right faceoff dot, he one-timed a pass by senior captain Parker Mackay to tie the game at 3-3.

“(Mackay) was just waiting for the defender’s stick to go one way so once that happened, he made a nice play, hit me on the back door there,” Tufte said of his captain’s set up. “I like those one-timers. It’s nice to see one of those every once in a while.”

UMD finished 1-for-3 on power plays while the Huskies struck on three of their four advantages.

Once the top penalty kill in the nation, the Bulldogs came into the weekend second at 88.5 percent. They’ve now given up eight power-play goals in the last four games. UMD surrendered just eight in its first 29 games of the season.

Newell’s power-play goal 5:09 in on Friday marked the fourth consecutive game that UMD’s penalty kill - which also has two shorthanded goals this season - surrendered a goal while Perbix’s marked the first time all season the Bulldogs gave up multiple power-play goals in back-to-back games. Miami also had three last Saturday in Duluth.

The Bulldogs’ power play hasn’t been too shabby either, entering the weekend ninth nationally at 23.9 percent. It has five goals in the last four games.

“We were ready for that 30 seconds,” Tufte said of the Bulldogs’ power play that was cut short. “It would have been nice to have that 30 seconds out there … it would have been nice.”

Minn. Duluth 2-0-1-0-3

St. Cloud St. 2-0-1-1-4

First period - 1. SCSU, Patrick Newell 14 (Jack Ahcan, Nick Perbix), 5:09 (pp); 2. UMD, Jade Miller 2 (Kobe Roth), 6:31; 3. SCSU, Micah Miller 4, 11:24; 4. UMD, Noah Cates 9 (Nick Swaney, Louie Roehl), 19:12. Penalties - Dylan Samberg, UMD (hooking), 3:27; Kevin Fitzgerald, SCSU (holding), 15:28.

Second period - No scoring. Penalties - None.

Third period - 5. SCSU, Perbix 4 (Nolan Walker), 4:55 (pp); 6, UMD, Riley Tufte 7 (Parker Mackay, Mikey Anderson), 9:28. Penalties - Peter Krieger, UMD (boarding), 0:23; Samberg, UMD (hooking), 4:39; Sam Hentges, SCSU (tripping), 7:34; Ahcan, SCSU (boarding), 18:30; N. Cates, UMD (contact to the head major and game misconduct), 20:00.

Overtime - 7. SCSU, Perbix 5 (Newell, Walker), 3:16 (pp). Penalties - None

Shots on goal - UMD 9-12-7-0-28; SCSU 7-8-9-3-28. Goalies - Hunter Shepard, UMD (28 shots-24 saves); David Hrenak (28-25). Power plays - UMD 1-of-3; SCSU 3-of-4. Referees - Ryan Hersey, Joe Sullivan. Linesmen - Justin Hills, Jeff Schultz. Att. - 5,135.