Field Reports: Feds reveal plan to keep Asian carp out of Great Lakes

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers last week released a final draft of its plan to keep invasive Asian carp out of the Great Lakes by building barriers between Lake Michigan and the illinois River system where the carp are thriving. The plan to blo...

1765345+bighead carp captured near Stillwater.jpg
Asian bighead carp caught on the St. Croix River near Stillwater, Minn. (Photo courtesy Minnesota Department of Natural Resources)

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers last week released a final draft of its plan to keep invasive Asian carp out of the Great Lakes by building barriers between Lake Michigan and the illinois River system where the carp are thriving.

The plan to block the unwanted aquatic invaders at the Brandon Road Lock and Dam, about 60 miles south of Chicago, would cost about $775 million.

The Corps' plan involves constructing several different technologies to keep carp from getting past the lock and dam, including an electric barrier, an acoustic barrier and a so-called "bubble curtain" Supporters of the plan, which is more than a year late in being released, say the bubble curtain provides an acoustic, visual and physical deterrent to fish trying to move through.

The Great Lakes would have to foot 20 percent of the cost with Congress needed to approve the other 80 percent.

Wisconsin nine-day gun deer harvest up


Wisconsin hunters shot more deer during the nine-day gun season this year than in 2017, the Department of Natural Resources reports.

Overall, preliminary figures show that 211,430 deer were registered during the nine-day gun deer hunt, compared to 197,733 in 2017. That includes 104,388 bucks shot during this year's season.

In the northern forested zone of Wisconsin there were 26,357 bucks shot this season, down about one-half percent from 2017, and 16,160 antlerless deer shot, up 5 percent over 2017.
There are still some deer hunting opportunities to come. The muzzleloader hunt goes through Wednesday. There's also a statewide antlerless hunt for unfilled tags from Thursday to Sunday, with other farm-area hunts later in the month. Hunters may use any unfilled antlerless harvest authorization during each of these hunts, but they must be used in the zone, county, and land type designated on the harvest authorization. For more information regarding which hunts may be offered in each county, check out the interactive deer map at keyword "DMU."

Statewide this year 576,277 gun deer licenses were sold through the end of the nine-day gun deer season, a 2 percent drop from 2017.

Douglas County harvest down, Ashland up

In Douglas Country the overall harvest dropped from 2,898 in 2017 to 2,810 in 2018, down 3 percent. The buck harvest dropped 10,7 percent form 2,224 to 2,0005 while the antlerless harvest rose form 654 to 805, up 23.1 percent.

In Ashland County, buck harvest was off 1.2 percent form 848 to 838 while, with many more antlerless permits offered, the antlerless harvest jumped 317 percent, from 69 to 288. Overall the deer harvest was up 22.8 percent, from 917 to 1,126.

No Wisconsin deaths, three minor injuries


The 2018 nine-day gun deer season will go into the books as one of the safest on record in Wisconsin with the DNR Bureau of Law Enforcement reporting three relatively minor firearm related incidents - in Columbia, Dunn and Sauk counties - and no fatalities.

Minnesota deer season deficit narrows

Minnesota's overall statewide firearms deer harvest was down 8 percent this year from last, 148,000 to nearly 161,000. In Northeastern Minnesota final numbers show a 13.6 percent overall decrease, 60,519 in 2017 to 52,287 to this season.

To break out one region, the Tower wildlife management area in central St. Louis and Lake counties, the buck harvest was down 1.1 percent this year form last, antlerless harvest was down 3.75 percent and the overall harvest down 2.1 percent. License sales in the Tower area were down 1.6 percent, explaining part of the decline. Other reason cited was the early opener, Nov. 3, with less deer movement before the rut. There also were very cold temperatures on some days that may have reduced hunter hours in the field.

John Myers reports on the outdoors, natural resources and the environment for the Duluth News Tribune. You can reach him at
What To Read Next
NASCAR on Ice, an ice racing event featuring NASCAR drivers and retired cars, was postponed a second time on Wednesday due to ice conditions.
Hull was a five-time 50-goal scorer, led the NHL in goalscoring seven times, twice won the Hart Trophy and was voted a First-Team All-Star on the left wing 10 times.
Peterson’s unassisted goal lifts Springfield to the NAHL home win.
Ice cross racers are competing in three divisions during multiple days of competition at Mont du Lac Resort in Superior as part of the U.S. Ice Cross Association's annual ATSX 250 event.