ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Reader's view: Don’t demonize group for evil actions of a few

Is it fair to anoint an entire genre of people, culture or religion as inherently evil? Should we paint them with one broad stroke of the brush and castigate them as enemies? Most people in the world are not much different from us. They, too, are...

Is it fair to anoint an entire genre of people, culture or religion as inherently evil? Should we paint them with one broad stroke of the brush and castigate them as enemies? Most people in the world are not much different from us. They, too, are struggling to make a living and love their family, and they, too, wish only to exist in a safe environment. When radical elements of their society bring risk to them, they are victims of terrorism, too.
Radicalism is not beneficial for any civilized country, and this is also true in America.
Let’s face it, 5 percent of the world’s population make things hell for the other 95 percent. That’s because radicals are bullies, blind to compromise, and they have no sympathy for the victims of their misguided rage. Don’t be one of them.
Having said that, we still must deal with these bullies to protect our turf, as they are not going away anytime soon. What is wrong with defending our families, neighborhoods and country from evil incursions? They have been attacking civilized communities for a long time - the “barbarians are at the gate,” folks - to raid, loot and lay waste our villages.
Some of our politicians advocate trimming our military to ineffectiveness and spending the savings on domestic programs. But geez, that’s like buying new furniture for your house instead of repairing the leaky roof. What good is our perfect, politically correct society if our our country doesn’t exist?
We should never trash other races, cultures or religions; we are all the children of one great and merciful God, and we should treat each other with dignity and respect. It is imperative, though, if necessary, to don your armor, arm your soldiers and fight barbarians intent on destroying your village.
Dennis Cooke
Proctor

What To Read Next
Get Local

ADVERTISEMENT