Cathy P. of Duluth asks: “I know who Chester Park is named for, but what about Lester Park?
The short answer is simple: Lester Park is named for the Lester River. But that raises another question: Who is the Lester River named for? Like most of Duluth’s waterways, it likely honors someone who established a homestead along its banks in the 1850s.
Chester Creek (and Chester Park), as Cathy’s knows, is named for Illinois native Charles Chester (nope, not for Chester Congdon). Chester came to Duluth in 1857 but by 1860 had left to search for gold in California. Pennsylvanian William Wallace Kingsbury, namesake of Kingsbury Creek, also left by 1860 — after he helped Minnesota achieve statehood as a congressman.
Merritt Creek is so-called for Ohio’s Lewis and Hepzibah Merritt family, cofounders of Oneota and developers of the Mesabi Iron Range. Swiss immigrants Urs and Elizabeth Tischer lent their name to the creek that ran past their farm, which stood where Chester and Clara Congdon’s Glensheen stands today. The Congdons dubbed a smaller stream that flows through the property Bent Brook. (There is no Congdon Creek; Congdon Park is centered on Tischer Creek.)
Several streams take their names from early residents who left to join the Union Army during the Civil War: Miller Creek for Pennsylvanian Robert Miller, Buckingham Creek for Frederick A. Buckingham of Illinois, Coffey Creek for Kentuckian Levi Coffey, Knowlton Creek for Maine’s Frederick Knowlton, and Keene Creek for another Mainer, Freeman Keen, whose name was later misspelled. Miller didn’t survive the war; several others returned to Duluth, but only Keen stayed.
Alfred Merritt’s 1917 recollection of the region in the 1850s provides a clue to Sargent Creek’s namesake: “The next place (west of Spirit Lake) was Sargent’s house, on what we called Sargent Lake, just west of Sargent’s creek.” But census records don’t include anyone named Sargent living in the area before 1869, when Massachusetts native George Sargent arrived — and Sargent’s homes stood on Minnesota Point and in today’s Lakeside, miles from Sargent Creek.
In 1870 Sargent built the Clarkhouse Hotel, and thereafter the stream flowing past it was called Clarkhouse Creek. Several other creeks also take their names from adjacent landmarks: Mission Creek for the Protestant mission built by Edmund Ely in 1833, Brewery Creek for the beer-making operation established in 1859, and U.S. Steel Creek for the 1915 Minnesota Steel Plant. Two creeks, 43rd Ave E. Creek and Oregon Creek, were named for nearby streets — until the 1890s, 21st Ave. E. was known as Oregon Avenue.
So the Lester is likely named for an early settler, but who? The name was in use by 1860, but census data includes no listings for Lesters. Early resident William Epler later wrote, “I remember Lester River, but cannot recall to mind anyone by the name of Lester.”
Reverend John Barnett, an early Superior resident, later recalled that “The portion of (Duluth now called Lester Park had been homesteaded by a man after whom the park was called.” But the neighborhood was named for the river in 1887, and the park was called Stearns Park until 1895 — and Barnett doesn’t provide a first name.
Baltimore resident George V. Leicester, a piano builder, laid claim as the river’s namesake in 1901. Leicester wrote to the Duluth Historical Society (1898 to 1902) that he was preparing a paper explaining that the river’s correct name is “Leicester.” Records indicate Leicester (pronounced “Lester” by the British) was born in Massachusetts in either 1830 or 1835.
Leicester wrote that the river was named for him after he lived for one winter in a cabin on its banks prior to the 1854 Treaty of Lapointe. He built his shelter along “a small stream of water having quite a fall with a gravel or sand bar at its mouth.” The Lester River today is hardly a small stream near its mouth, but the description otherwise fits. Leicester also claimed to have built “the first frame dwelling in Superior” for trader and Duluth founder George Nettleton, and his letter mentioned known landmarks and other traders who arrived prior to Duluth’s establishment in 1856, lending more validity to his claim.
The problem is, no one who lived at the Head of the Lakes in the 1850s remembered Leicester, and no known records verify his claim. Leicester died in 1902, as did the Duluth Historical Society; consequently, his paper was never published. This doesn’t mean Leicester was lying, just that we can’t validate his claim.
So we may never truly know who the Lester River is named for — or Sargent’s Creek, for that matter. We also have no records of how Amity Creek got its name. Perhaps it is so-called for its “friendly relationship” with the Lester, with which it converges within Lester Park.
Duluth author Tony Dierckins is the publisher of Zenith City Press (zenithcity.com), where you can find his latest book, “Duluth: An Urban Biography.”
What do you wonder? Send in your questions! Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.