The ZMC Hotels chain is converting some of its rooms into recovery units for COVID-19 patients and others into “Shelter in Peace’’ respite accommodations for first responders and medical workers who need to be isolated from their normal homes.
Starting with one property in Duluth, ZMC will open “Recovery Centers Hotels” that can be converted for known COVID-19-positive guests. These properties are designed to serve patients who do not need to be in an intensive care unit in a hospital but who need rest, recovery and quarantine. The rooms are priced at $250 per night including meals. Oxygen concentrators are available for an additional $100 a night, said Jenn Kimbrough, national director of sales and marketing for ZMC. She said hotels in the program would be closed to other guests.
Other hotels will be designated as Shelter in Peace Hotels, essentially self-isolation facilities for health care professionals, first responders and other essential workers who want isolation from their families. ZMC is offering 50% discounts off normal rates for these rooms on quiet floors. Each room will be given heat treatments up to 140 degrees for three hours at turnover to thoroughly disinfect the room.
All ZMC hotels also have put the following safety measures in place:
- All elevators and solid surfaces of common areas are being disinfected frequently.
- Antiviral hand sanitizers have been installed at entrances and in common areas.
- Staff specifically trained in social distancing.
- Crew/team employees equipped with disposable gloves and face masks.
- Rooms equipped with internet and digital media options.
- All rooms have isolated heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems ensuring rooms do not share air.
- Sneeze guards are being installed at all front desks.
- Unnecessary hard and soft surfaces, like throw pillows and decorative bed scarves, are being removed from all guest rooms.
Hotels included in these programs include the Days Inn Duluth Lakewalk; Edgewater Resort & Waterpark in Duluth; the Inn on Lake Superior in Duluth; the Downtown Duluth Inn; the Best Western Bridgeview in Superior; the Hampton Inn in Hibbing; the Hampton Inn & Suites in Rogers, Minnesota; the AmericInn in Ashland; the AmericInn in Minocqua, Wisconsin; the Best Western in Spooner; and the Days inn in Hurley.
For more information or to book a room go to shelter-in-peace.com.
As a public service, we’ve opened this article to everyone regardless of subscription status. If this coverage is important to you, please consider supporting local journalism by clicking on the subscribe button in the upper righthand corner of the homepage.