Where to find help with tax returns
Web sites of theInternal Revenue Service (www.irs.gov), Minnesota Department of Revenue (www.taxes.state.mn.us) and Wisconsin Department of Revenue (www.revenue. wi.gov) are full of useful information for taxpayers who have questions. Forms and p...
Web sites of theInternal Revenue Service ( www.irs.gov ), Minnesota Department of Revenue ( www.taxes.state.mn.us ) and Wisconsin Department of Revenue ( www.revenue . wi.gov) are full of useful information for taxpayers who have questions. Forms and publications also are on the site for downloading and printing. All three taxing entities encourage use of their Web sites to find answers to your questions.
If you need to talk with someone, use the following phone numbers for individual taxpayer questions.
Federal and stategovernments
* Internal Revenue Service, (800) 829-1040.
* Minnesota Department of Revenue hastwo numbers: Individual taxpayer self-service,(800) 657-3676, offers recorded help 24 hours a day. Individual taxpayer assistance, (800) 652-9094, is answered 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday and from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday.
* Wisconsin Department of Revenue has no toll-free number. Call (608) 266-2772 for assistance from a department employee.
A number of organizations offer in-person tax help, including Community Action Duluth, AARP and the UMD accounting department.
Community Action Duluth
Community Action Duluth, 19 N. 21st Ave. W., offers free tax preparation for people who made less than $39,000 in 2006. Ten trained preparers will be on hand at each session. The site will be open twice a week, from 5-9 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.Saturdays through April 14. For more information, call 726-1665.
AARP-trained volunteers will help anyone with their individual income taxes, regardless of age or income, at no charge, said Ken Oliver, who coordinates the volunteer Tax-Aide program. For more information about the sites, call 727-3844.
* CHUM Drop-In Center, 125 N. First St.: 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays and noon to 5 p.m. Thursdays through April 12.
* Lincoln Park Senior Center, 2014 W. Third St.: By appointment only 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesdays through Fridays through April 13.
* Rainbow SeniorCenter, 211 N. Third Ave. E.: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays through April 13.
* West Duluth American Legion, 5814 Grand Ave.: 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Thursdays through April 12.
* Portman Square, 4601 McCulloch: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays through April 16.
* Cloquet Public Library, 320 14th St.: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Fridays through April 13.
* Moose Lake City Hall, 306 Douglas Ave.:9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays through April 9.
* Proctor Community Center, 100 S. Pionk Drive: 9 a.m. to noon Wednesdays through April 11.
* Superior Public Library, 1530 Tower Ave.: noon to 4 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays through April 15.
* University ofWisconsin-Superior,Room 301E Erlanson Hall, Belknap and Catlin avenues: Wednesdays 11 a.m. to4 p.m., 6-8 p.m.
UMD accountingstudent sites
About 50 supervised UMD accounting students are helping taxpayers prepare their individual income tax returns at no charge through April 14. The tax help is for people who made less than $39,000 last year. For more information, call 726-7966.
* Duluth Public Library, 520 W. Superior St.: 2-8 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturdays.
* Kirby Student Center, UMD campus: 2-8 p.m. Wednesday and 1-4 p.m. Saturdays.