Weekend events to cause road closures
Downtown Duluth and Canal Park will remain open to traffic
A pair of weekend events in Duluth will cause numerous road closures and detours throughout the city, the Duluth Police Department said Thursday.
The NorthShore Inline Marathon races Friday afternoon and Saturday morning and the Oktoberfestival parade Friday afternoon will disrupt traffic, but downtown Duluth and Canal Park will remain open to traffic, police said.
On Saturday, the NorthShore Inline Marathon will cause road closures along I-35 and London Road, but roads will open east to west as racers near the finish line near the Duluth Entertainment Convention Center. Police said roads should all reopen by 2 p.m.
During the race, Canal Park, Park Point, the Great Lakes Aquarium and the DECC will be accessible by using Lake Avenue to Railroad Street or southbound on Fifth Avenue West to Railroad Street, police said.
From 3-6:30 p.m., a portion of Harbor Drive near the Minnesota Slip will close to traffic for Kid's Inline Sprint Races. All DECC parking gates and lots, and the Great Lakes Aquarium lot will remain accessible during this time.
Beginning at 3:15 p.m, Oktoberfestival will hold a short parade from Canal Park Lodge to Bayfront Park. Roads will remain open for this event, but the parade will result in brief diversions of traffic in the Canal Park area.
- Starting at 5 a.m., most avenues leading to London Road will close at London Road from 26th Avenue East to 60th Avenue East.
- At 5:30 a.m., Scenic Highway 61 will close and traffic will be directed to the Two Harbors Expressway.
- At 6:15 a.m., southbound lanes of the Two Harbors Expressway will be diverted onto Superior Street and northbound lanes of I-35 will be diverted to Mesaba Avenue to follow marked detours.
- At 6:15 a.m., London Road from 26th Avenue East to 60th Avenue East will close, Harbor Drive will close, I-35 from Mesaba Avenue to 26th Avenue East will close and Fifth Avenue West between Michigan Street and the Great Lakes Aquarium will be reduced to one lane.
- At approximately 6:15 a.m., 60th Avenue East will close from Tioga Street to Superior Street with traffic diverted to 58th and 61st avenues east. DTA buses will be diverted to 58th Avenue East.