ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia blaze deemed accidental; damage estimated at $275,000

The cause of the fire that destroyed a Virginia home Thursday was found to be accidental, according to the Virginia Fire Department. The fire, estimated to have caused more than $275,000 in damage, was started by the use of a handheld metal grind...

The cause of the fire that destroyed a Virginia home Thursday was found to be accidental, according to the Virginia Fire Department.

The fire, estimated to have caused more than $275,000 in damage, was started by the use of a handheld metal grinder during the repair of a trailer, said Roger Scott, fire marshal.

The house at 1106 19th St. S. was a total loss, along with two garages and a shed. The fire began about 10 p.m. and firefighters remained on the scene until 4 a.m. Friday. No one was injured in the blaze, but downed power lines and a natural gas leak complicated efforts to fight it.

Related Topics: FIRESIRON RANGEVIRGINIA
What To Read Next
The system crashed earlier this month, grounding flights across the U.S.