Readers and writers
EVENT WISCONSIN AUTHOR DENNIS MCCANN speaks at the Douglas County Historical Society's annual meeting at 2 p.m. today, 1101 John Ave., Superior. McCann will discuss some of his travels around Wisconsin and his visits to historical societies and m...
WISCONSIN AUTHOR DENNIS MCCANN speaks at the Douglas County Historical Society's annual meeting at 2 p.m. today, 1101 John Ave., Superior. McCann will discuss some of his travels around Wisconsin and his visits to historical societies and museums. He is the author of "Dennis McCann Takes You for a Ride: Stories from the Byways of Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and Illinois." The event is free. Call 392-8449.
J.W. BEECROFT BOOKS & COFFEE, 3631 Tower Ave., Superior, offers these events. Call 394-2665 or go to www.jwbeecroft.com .
* Author Beryl Singleton Bissell discusses and signs her memoir, "The Scent of God," at6 p.m. Wednesday.
* Dinosaur Story Time meets at 7 p.m. Friday. Come in pajamas and bring a pillow or blanket.
NORTHERN LIGHTS BOOKS AND GIFTS, 307 Canal Park Drive, offers these events. Call 722-5267, (800) 868-8904 or go to www.norlights.com .
* In-Store Book Group meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday to discuss "The Year of Magical Thinking" by Joan Didion.
* Duluth poet Louis Jenkins signs his new collection, "North of the Cities," from 2-4 p.m. Saturday.
BARNES & NOBLE BOOKSTORE, in the Miller Hill Mall, hosts these events. Call 786-0710.
* Author Elizabeth French and local illustrator Lynn Sandness sign their book, "Exploring the Twin Cities With Children," at 1:30 p.m. today.
* Students from the Duluth Playhouse Conservatory perform "The Monkey King," an Asian story drama, at 2 p.m. today. This is a "One Book, One Community" event.
* Story Time meets at 11 a.m. Tuesday to read Chicka Chicka ABC.
* New Fiction/Nonfiction Book Group meets at 1 p.m. Thursday to discuss "A Family Daughter" by Maile Meloy.
* Mystery Book Group meets at 5:30 p.m. May 6 to discuss "Foggy Mountain Breakdown and Other Stories" by Sharyn McCrumb.
"NORTH OF THE CITIES" is a collection of 50 prose poems by Louis Jenkins of Duluth, plus a conversation with Garrison Keillor. Jenkins will appear on Keillor's "Prairie Home Companion" radio show on May 19.
This is the seventh book for Jenkins, who won the Minnesota Book Award for poetry for "Nice Fish" in 1995.
The 62-page softcover, which costs $15, is published by Jenkin's new press, Will o' the Wisp Books in Duluth. Go to www.willo thwispbooks.com.
"MOON STRUCK," a novel by Enkay D. Durand, features Kyra, a good-hearted and spirited girl who doesn't blend in with the mainstream youth in her town, which makes her a prime candidate for ridicule. Everything changes when a boy named Aaron comes into her life and offers her friendship. Aaron has special powers that enable him to transform into a dragon. Their happiness is threatened by an old nemesis who plans to rid the Earth of all humans, starting with Kyra.
The 203-page softcover, published by Terra Press Publications, costs $15. Go to www.terrapresspublishing.com/moon.html .
"THE CITY OF KIND WORDS," by former Duluthian Victoria "Tory" Vincent, is a children's book about Daba, an orphan boy who has not had an easy time in foster care. He strikes out on a journey in search of The City of Kind Words because he could use a few to fill the emptiness he feels inside. Along the way, he meets many kinds of people and finds the perfect companion, a rejected dog named "Pooch."
The 56-page hardcover, published by All Over Creation, costs $19.95. E-mail email@example.com .
The deadline is noon Thursday, 11 days before publication. Send information to Duluth News Tribune, 424 W. First St., Duluth, MN 55802. Fax: (218) 720-4120.