Mn/DOT seeks public input for 2009 to 2028 transportation plan
Members of the public, transportation stakeholders, local government officials and others are invited to discuss the updated state's long-range transportation plan from from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Thursday at Country Inns and Suites Duluth North...
Members of the public, transportation stakeholders, local government officials and others are invited to discuss the updated state's long-range transportation plan from from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Thursday at Country Inns and Suites Duluth North, 4257 Haines Road, in Hermantown.
Officials from the Minnesota Department of Transportation, including Commissioner Tom Sorel, Deputy Commissioner Khani Sahebjam and District Engineer Mike Robinson, will present information on the update to the state's 20-year transportation plan.
"This update includes all major modes of transportation including transit, freight, rail, air, ports and waterways," Sorel said. "Accountability and transparency are vital to our work. We are striving to develop and maintain a transportation system in Minnesota that safely meets the needs of Minnesota citizens. I am hopeful people can attend to give us their perspective on transportation issues."
The meeting includes information about the plan's 10 new policy areas, the impacts that the 2008 transportation funding legislation and legislative auditor's recommendations will have on the plan, and an open discussion about these and other transportation issues. Participants will help guide future transportation investments and decisions.
Mn/DOT's long-range plan is updated every six years. The public's input will be incorporated in the final 2009-2028 Statewide Transportation Plan, which will be presented to the Minnesota State Legislature in 2009.
Public outreach meetings will be held regionally throughout the summer. The public is invited to attend any of the meetings.
In addition to the Duluth area, Statewide Plan Outreach Meetings will be held:
- Thursday, July 10, 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Kandiyohi County Health and Human Services, 2200 23rd St. N.E., Willmar.
- Monday, July 14, 12:30 to 4 p.m., St. Cloud Conference Center, 3725 12th St. N., St. Cloud.
- Wednesday, July 16, 1 to 4:30 p.m., Transportation Advisory Board, Metropolitan Council, 390 Robert St. N., St. Paul.
- Thursday, July 17, 12:30 to 4 p.m., Mn/DOT District 2 Office, 3920 Highway 2 W., Bemidji.
- Monday, July 21, 12:30 to 4 p.m., West Central Initiative, 1000 Western Ave., Fergus Falls.
- Wednesday, July 23, 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Mn/DOT District 6 Office, Room D6A East, 2900 48th St. N.W., Rochester.
- Monday, July 28, 12:30 to 4 p.m., Best Western Hotel, 1111 Range St., North Mankato.
More information about the 2009-2028 transportation plan process is available at: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/planning/stateplan/index.html .
--MnDOT press release