Make a difference
COLLECTIONS/DRIVES * Tejas Texas Grill & Saloon, Baja Billy's Cantina & Grill and have partnered with KBMX 107.7 FM (MIX 108), the Hermantown Area Family Resource Center and One Warm Coat to collect clean, reusable coats through Tuesday. ...
* Tejas Texas Grill & Saloon, Baja Billy's Cantina & Grill and have partnered with KBMX 107.7 FM (MIX 108), the Hermantown Area Family Resource Center and One Warm Coat to collect clean, reusable coats through Tuesday. Collection boxes are at Tejas at 4702 Miller Trunk Highway; Baja Billy's in the Fitger's Brewery Complex at 600 E. Superior St.; or at GAP Radio at 14 E. Central Entrance. Items most in need are warm winter coats for adults and children, hats, nylon mittens and scarves. Visit www.onewarm coat.org for more information on how to start your own coat drive.
* Churches United in Ministry is in need of many other items. Call 720-6521 for more information.
Food shelf: Canned meats (stews, chili, hash, Spaghettios, chicken, Spam and tuna); macaroni and cheese; canned fruits and vegetables (peaches, peas, pears, corn, mixed vegetables); chicken noodle and cream soups, Ramen noodles and juice.
Family shelter: 2009 daily planners, alarm clocks, dish soap, diapers in sizes 4 and 5, all-purpose household cleaners, washcloths, baby hygiene products, laundry supplies, pot and pan sets and other kitchen supplies.
Nurse clinic: the CHUM Fund needs donations to continue to help pay medication co-pays. Contact Sherri at 740-2487 or e-mail email@example.com .
Street Outreach program needs warm sleeping bags to give to the homeless.
2009 calendars and pocket planners, as well as large and extra-large adult jackets, warm hats and mittens (not knitted) and new socks are needed to give to clients.
* Dan O'Hearon, owner of Custom Cab Co. in Duluth, is camping out on the roof of Gap West Broadcasting at 14 E. Central Entrance through Wednesday to raise money to provide free sober cab rides through the holiday season. He's been on the roof since Dec. 13, living in a heated tent provided by Thompson Rental in Superior.
O'Hearon's 12 Days of Christmas Sober Cab Ride fundraiser is asking for donations from individuals and businesses. Donations can be made at Gap West between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. During nonbusiness hours, O'Hearon has a bucket he will lower down from the roof as his donation bin.
Other businesses taking donations are: Paper Hog, 2 W. First St.; Glenwood Design, 18 W. First St.; Carmody's Irish Pub, 308 E. Superior St.; Powerhouse Bar, 423 N. Third Ave., Proctor; and Crush, 7 Eighth St. in Cloquet.
Custom Cab has partnered with cab companies Pinkie's Cab and Sidz Taxi for this fundraiser. If you're in need of a complimentary sober cab ride home, ask your bartender for a Ride Pass or call Custom Cab at 341-9711 through Jan. 1.
* Keep track of your appointments and help out Animal Rescue Federation in Superior by purchasing a 2009 Calendar of Rescues. The fourth annual ARF calendar fundraiser features 25 black-and-white photos of rescued dogs and cats that were submitted to ARF's pet photo contest in the fall. The calendar is $8 and available at ARF's care and adoption center at 2225 Hill Ave. Call 394-PETS (7327) for information.
* Wishing you had purchased an extra bag of the Junior League's toffee? Well, stop your wishing and head to the Junior League of Duluth's Web site to buy a personalized brick or to pick up a couple of extra bags of toffee for a sweet holiday treat. Go to www.juniorleagueduluth.org and click on the "E-store" link.
Also for sale through the Junior League are personalized bricks, which will be used in the pathways in Playfront Park when it's rebuilt in 2009. The bricks are 4 inches by 8 inches and can have up to three lines of personalization. Each brick costs $100. Larger bricks are available at a higher cost for people or groups who want to help sponsor Playfront Park. Bricks will be chosen by JLD and must be prepaid. Specific brick placement cannot be guaranteed, but all bricks purchased will be placed at the park.
* Churches United in Ministry is looking for volunteers to send "I'm thinking about you" messages to CHUM Church members. If you'd like to remember someone on his/her birthday and send or e-mail a greeting card for the holidays, contact Meg at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 720-6570.
* The North Shore Chapter of Thrivent Financial for Lutherans is sending a Thrivent Builds team with Habitat for Humanity to El Salvador from April 17- 26. If you're interested in helping during a trip designed to change lives, call Gary Zinter at (800) 777-4533 or (218) 226-3442 by Jan. 5. Space is limited.
* The Center Against Sexual and Domestic Abuse seeks volunteers to help provide supportive services to individuals hurt by domestic violence, sexual assault or child abuse. Volunteers assist staff, provide child care, main office support or transportation for clients (mileage paid), and on-call advocacy. Call Natalie, volunteer program coordinator, at 392-3136 or e-mail email@example.com for information. To apply, stop by the office between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday at 2231 Catlin Ave. in Superior.
* SOAR Career Solutions, Men as Peacemakers, Lake Superior College and Arrowhead Regional Corrections seek sponsors for men and women coming out of incarceration and participating in the Community Offender Re-entry program.
Volunteers are asked to meet with a returnee one hour per week to provide a meaningful friendship and guidance to ex-offenders. Training is provided, and voluntary group support meetings are held every Tuesday at Men as Peacemakers for both sponsors and participants.
Contact Dave Anderson at 727-1939 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
Make a difference in your community today by responding to one of these listings. If you have an event or volunteer opportunity that you'd like to have considered for this column, e-mail it to scrapbook@duluth
news.com; fax it to 720-4120; or mail it to Scrapbook, Duluth News Tribune, 424 W. First St., Duluth, MN 55802.