Superior accepts child care relief grant applications

The city will provide up to $10,000 to fund new or expanded child care options.

The four year olds class at Noah’s Ark Day Care marches to the park
The 4-year-old class at Noah’s Ark Day Care marches to the park with their teacher Mike Hill in South Superior on Friday, March 4, 2022. A new grant program established by the Superior City Council aims to create new or expanded child care opportunities in the city.
Jed Carlson / Superior Telegram

SUPERIOR — The city is accepting applications for a newly created grant program to help establish child care facilities in Superior starting Friday, April 1.

The city has $200,000 allocated to provide grants scaled up to $10,000 to assist creating new or expanded child care services. Examples of eligible expenses include staff education or training; recruitment and retention bonuses for employees; safety and capital improvements; and classroom materials, technology and software. Applicants must provide proof of licensure or certification and a W-9 for the business.

The Superior City Council established the criteria for the program March 15.

Councilor Jenny Van Sickle proposed setting aside $200,000 in local recovery funds provided through the American Rescue Plan Act in February after a home-based child care provider in Allouez was forced to close due to an eviction. Subsequently, Noah’s Ark Day Care in South Superior announced it would be closing its doors for a total of 70 children being displaced, Van Sickle said.

“I’m extremely proud of our council’s collective effort to respond to an evolving situation in our community and want to thank city staff who helped make this possible,” Van Sickle said.


The city’s planning department is managing the program.

Grant applications will be accepted through June 1, 2024, or until the $200,000 has been awarded. All grants must be spent and reported to the city by Dec. 31, 2024.

Grant applications are available at .

“They just have to hold off until Friday to turn it in,” said Allison Johnson, planning technician.

Applications can be returned by email, or mailed or dropped off at the City of Superior Planning Department, 1316 N. 14th St., Suite 210, Superior, WI 54880.

For more information, call 715-395-7335 or email .

Shelley Nelson is a reporter with the Duluth Media Group since 1997, and has covered Superior and Douglas County communities and government for the Duluth News Tribune from 1999 to 2006, and the Superior Telegram since 2006. Contact her at 715-395-5022 or
What To Read Next
Get Local