Duluth to tackle more than 16 miles of street repairs
A dedicated local sales tax for street improvements has shown growth, boosting funds for road repairs.
DULUTH — The city has laid out its plans for this year’s street improvements and will hold a couple online public meetings Wednesday, at noon and 6 p.m., to discuss the pending repairs.
About 6 miles of local road is slated for renewal solely using sales tax revenues.
An additional 10½ miles of road will be repaired using a mix of funding sources, with those projects likely including a redesigned Brighton Beach Road.
Ridgewood Road and Pinewood Lane in Duluth’s Hidden Valley neighborhood will be redone in conjunction with some water main work.
Arrowhead Road will be resurfaced, and 21st Avenue East will be redone.
A roundabout will be installed at Glenwood Street and Snively Road.
And about 6 miles of recently resurfaced streets will receive chipsealing, as well.
“It’s a thin overlay that helps keep the pavement from cracking, to extend the life of the work we did last year,” explained James Gittemeier, Duluth’s senior transportation planner.
"They did try to cluster projects this year," he said, pointing to Morgan Park, Smithville and Central Hillside in particular.
The city has tackled about 24 miles of road improvements since 2020, using a half-percent dedicated sales tax. Duluth residents voted in favor of the self-imposed tax to be used solely for street improvements in a 2017 referendum, but it didn’t take effect until a couple of years later, as the Minnesota Legislature also had to approve the local funding mechanism, as well.
In 2019, the tax generated just shy of $2 million, but that grew to $7.2 million in 2020 and $8.7 million last year.
The following sales tax projects are proposed:
- 0.23 miles of Grand Avenue, between Zimmerly and Commonwealth
- .07 miles of 94th Avenue West, between Zimmerly and Boyd
- 0.21 miles of Boyd Avenue, from 93rd to its terminus near 96th Avenue West
- 0.14 miles of 95th Avenue West, from Zimmerly to Clyde
- 0.34 miles of Clay Street, from Vinland to Skyline and eastward
- 1.6 miles of Skyline Parkway, from 24th Avenue West to Haines Road
- 0.34 miles of First Avenue East, from Mesaba Avenue to East Fourth Street
- 0.18 miles of 91st Avenue West, from Idaho to Grace Street
- 0.23 miles of Hilton Street, from 88th Avenue West to Falcon
- 0.12 miles of Hilton Street, from 91st Avenue West to Idaho
- 0.7 miles of West First Street, from Mesaba to North Sixth Avenue West
- 0.6 miles of Seventh Street, from Mesaba Avenue to Sixth Avenue East
- 0.37 mile of Fourth Avenue East, from Fourth Street to Central Entrance
- 0.07 miles of Eighth Street, from Fourth Avenue East to Fifth Avenue East
- 0.31 miles of 11th Avenue West, from West First Street to West Sixth Street
- 0.07 miles of 10th Street, Fourth Avenue East to Fifth Avenue East
- 0.2 miles of Fifth Avenue East, from Seventh Street to 10th Street
- 0.19 miles of North 45th Avenue East, From Superior Street to London Road
- 0.11 miles of Wyoming Street, from 51st to 52nd avenues east
- 0.27 miles of North 54th Avenue East, from Glenwood to East Superior Street
- 600 feet of East Skyline Parkway at the alley east of 13th Street
- 150 feet of 26th Street South, west of Minnesota Avenue
- Lincoln Park Drive, third to first bridge
- Twin Ponds bridge and wall repairs
- Aerial Lift Bridge painting and repairs
- First Street from Fifth to Ninth avenues east.
- 21st Avenue East from London Road to Woodland Avenue
- 800 feet of Ridgewood Road at 34th Avenue East
- Pinewood Lane from Crescent View to East Third Street
- Third Street, from Pinewood Lane to 37th Avenue East
- 500 feet of Fourth Street south of Pinewood Lane
- Melwood Avenue from Ridgewood Road to the cul de sac.
- 220 feet of Crescent View Drive north of Pinewood Lane
- Brighton Beach Road (may shift to 2023)
- Lakewood Road from Superior Street to the city limits
- Arrowhead Road from Woodland Avenue to Dodge Street