ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Bygones: Explosion rocked Laura MacArthur Elementary school 40 years ago

Bygones is researched and written by David Ouse, retired reference librarian from the Duluth Public Library. He can be contacted at djouse49@gmail.com.

Bygones logo
We are part of The Trust Project.

News Tribune, Sept. 28, 1982

  • More than 700 students will stay home today from Laura MacArthur-West Elementary School after an explosion in the boiler room rocked the school yesterday. Two workers were injured in the 11 a.m. explosion, which rendered the school's two boilers inoperable.
  • The Duluth City Council yesterday rejected the proposal for a $10 million mobile home and apartment project in Duluth Heights. Many councilors echoed the concerns of neighborhood residents who claimed the development would increase traffic congestion and create water runoff problems.

News Tribune, Sept. 28, 1922

  • Crews of men under the direction of forest rangers yesterday fought brush and grass fires near Hibbing, Buhl, and Chisholm. And 20 men were fighting a fire of serious proportions sweeping through the woods just west of Parkville, near Virginia.
  • A resolution urging the city of Duluth to prohibit firearm sales except by licensed dealers will be discussed tonight at the David Wisted American Legion Post meeting. If adopted, the resolution will also be offered as a national measure at the national Legion Convention.
Related Topics: BYGONESHISTORY
Bygones is researched and written by David Ouse, retired reference librarian from the Duluth Public Library. He can be contacted at djouse49@gmail.com.
What to read next
The annual fundraiser for the Knife River Recreation Council drew hundreds on Saturday.
Members Only
Josh Nickila wants your unused typewriters for his own collection and to pass along to people interested in the machine computers replaced.
Bygones is researched and written by David Ouse, retired reference librarian from the Duluth Public Library. He can be contacted at djouse49@gmail.com.
A student at the college’s Center for Advanced Aviation dropped a backpack on Tuesday, which caused a presumably-forgotten gun inside to go off.