ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

12-year-old accused of threatening students in Superior

A Superior Middle School student allegedly showed another student a list of classmates he intended to harm.

Superior Middle School
Superior Middle School.
File / Duluth News Tribune
We are part of The Trust Project.

SUPERIOR — A 12-year-old boy was taken into custody Tuesday after allegedly showing to a classmate a list of other middle schoolers he intended to harm, according to a news release from the Superior Police Department.

Police have asked prosecutors to charge a Superior Middle School student with felony terroristic threats and misdemeanor disorderly conduct after school staff received a tip via the school district’s “Speak Up, Speak Out” app Tuesday morning. Middle school staff pulled the student from class, and a pair of Superior police detectives were dispatched there around 10 a.m.

They determined the student showed the list of classmates “in an attempt to scare the student he was showing the list to.” School district staff said the student who saw that list was the one who sent in the tip.

It wasn’t immediately clear how many students were on the list, but a police spokesperson said the number was fewer than 10.

READ MORE EDUCATION COVERAGE
The governor visited Laura MacArthur Elementary on Wednesday morning.

Joe Bowen is an award-winning reporter at the Duluth News Tribune. He covers schools and education across the Northland.

You can reach him at:
What To Read Next
Fundraising is underway to move the giant ball of twine from the home of James Frank Kotera, JFK, to the Highland Town Hall in Douglas County.
A mental health screening was requested for the 51-year-old, who was previously committed for treatment needs.
A defense attorney and prosecutor debated whether the jury accepted the teen's self-defense claim in delivering a split verdict.
Firefighters saved the house Wednesday night after the garage was destroyed by flames.