St. Louis County has distributed $1.8 million in Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act funds to 12 public school districts and two charter schools in the county. These funds are part of the $6 million that the St. Louis County Board approved for allocation to community organizations and part of the $24.5 million the county received in CARES Act funds.
The funds will help the schools with financial impacts related to the COVID-19 pandemic including purchasing personal protective equipment, cleaning, social distancing needs, COVID-19 screening and related program expenses. The funds were distributed to each district or charter school based on funds requested for eligible expenses. All schools which applied received funding, these included:
- Chisholm Public School District, $15,000
- Duluth Public School District, $724,860
- Ely Public School District, $76,700
- Floodwood Public School District, $35,000
- Hermantown Public School District, $76,000
- Hibbing Public School District, $250,000
- Mesabi East Public School District, $157,500
- Mountain Iron Buhl Public School District, $98,720
- Nett Lake Public School District, $23,000
- Proctor Public School District, $159,911
- St. Louis County Public School District, $93,133
- Rock Ridge School District, $90,000
- Harbor City International Charter School, $6,000
- Duluth Public Schools Academy Charter School, $21,860
"When the county board approved the general guidelines for how the county would distribute CARES Act funds, it was a priority to support the organizations that serve members of our community who are disproportionately impacted by the COVID-19 public health emergency," County Board Chair Mike Jugovich said. "Helping our schools, which in turns supports so many children and families, helps fill an important need in our county right now."
Duluth Superintendent John Magas said the funds his district received will be used for safety needs such as personal protective equipment, technology supports, tutoring and educational supports, child care and nutritional support.