Flood aftermath: News to use

Free pet food Animal Allies Humane Society in Duluth received support from American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and Hill's Pet Nutrition and will distribute free pet food (while supplies last) to pet owners affected by the re...

Free pet food

Animal Allies Humane Society in Duluth received support from American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and Hill's Pet Nutrition and will distribute free pet food (while supplies last) to pet owners affected by the recent flood from 4-5 p.m. Thursday at the Northland Spay/Neuter Clinic at 2002 W. Superior St. A limited number of bags of Science Diet Adult Cat and Science Diet Adult Dog food will be available for pickup. Supplies are first-come, first-served and limited to one bag per family.

Pet food will also be distributed to Superior families from 10:30-11:30 a.m. Friday at the Salvation Army's Pet Pantry, at Broadway Street and Hughitt Avenue.

Visit or the Northland Spay/Neuter Clinic's Facebook page, or call (218) 623-6342 for updates on pet food distribution.

Well-testing kits


Free well-testing kits, provided by the Minnesota Department of Health, are available through the Carlton County Planning and Zoning office, 301 Walnut Ave., Carlton, on a first-come, first-served basis. Residents who had flooding within 50 feet of their wells should have their wells tested. If you have any questions, call Sandra Beck at (218) 723-4653.

Registered contractors

Carlton County has a list of registered contractors so residents can check to see that their contractor is bonded and licensed. The list is available to view at or at the Carlton County Recorder's Office in the Carlton County Courthouse, 301 Walnut, Carlton. Residents are also encouraged to read the information about "Rebuilding After a Disaster" at the Department of Commerce website: . Any contractors who wish to be included on the list can complete an application online at . Call the Recorder's office at (218) 384-9195 if you have any questions.

Relief fund for Carlton County residents

To donate money to help Carlton County families affected by the flood, go to, bring your donation into any Wells Fargo branch for the Carlton County Flood Relief Fund, or mail it to:

Carlton County Flood Relief Fund

c/o Volunteer Services of Carlton County Inc.

St. Louis County Flood Resource Center


The St. Louis County Flood Resource Center offers content on the latest flood news and activities. The Resource Center can be found at . The Flood Resource Center includes available map services to use as recovery and rebuilding efforts continue. The map resources are at .

Free pickup of flood-damaged materials

Free curbside collection of flood-damaged materials will be offered through July 19 in Duluth, Hermantown and Proctor, and in Rice Lake, Lakewood, Canosia, Grand Lake, Duluth, Solway and Midway townships.

The pickup is offered by the Western Lake Superior Sanitary District, which already had agreed to accept waste from the flood free of charge at its Materials Recovery Center off Rice Lake Road and is now contracting with local haulers to provide curbside pickup for flood victims.

The WLSSD asks that residents make use of this service only to deal with flood-related waste, not other types of garbage. Hazardous waste also can't be picked up -- that still must go to the WLSSD Household Hazardous waste Center in Duluth.

Residents are asked to sort flood-damaged materials into four categories:

  • Mixed waste, including bulky items such as carpet, drywall, furniture and other compromised materials.
  • Electronics such as televisions, computers and stereo components.
  • Appliances such as refrigerators or freezers (cleared of contents), air conditioners, water heaters, washers, dryers and dehumidifiers.
  • Vegetative debris such as tree limbs, stumps and brush. Residents should dispose of any kitchen waste using their conventional garbage-hauling services.

    Red Cross help

    Flood victims across Northeastern Minnesota who need assistance from the Northland Chapter of the American Red Cross should call (218) 722-0071.

    Hanne Gonzalez said the Red Cross is beginning one-on-one casework, with volunteers ready to evaluate and help meet the needs of individual families. Residents affected by the floods who would like assistance from the Red Cross should call the Northland Chapter at (218) 722-0071.

    The Red Cross is distributing household cleanup kits and emergency kits from its office at 2524 Maple Grove Road in Duluth.

    Food available

    Second Harvest Northern Lakes Food Bank, 4503 Airpark Blvd., has food and nonfood items available for any residents of St. Louis, Carlton, Lake, Cook, Douglas, Bayfield, Ashland and Iron counties that were affected by the recent flooding. Call (218) 727-5653, ext. 111 or e-mail for more information.

  • What To Read Next
    Get Local


    Must Reads