The Duluth Fire Marshal's Office has determined that the cause of the Aug. 11 apartment complex fire in Duluth's East Hillside was accidental and due to a kitchen fire, according to Duluth Fire Department spokesperson Kate Van Daele. No foul play was detected.

The unit where the initial fire took place had working smoke detectors, which is believed to be the reason several residents were able to exit the building and avoid any other injuries.

One resident, 36-year-old Michael Simone, was removed from the fire and later pronounced dead.

"The Duluth Fire Department would like to share our condolences with Mr. Simone’s family and friends," read the statement from the Fire Department.

There is no information from the medical examiner's office about the cause of death for Simone at this time.