The Duluth Fire Department responded to the scene of a structure fire at 4414 Haines Road on Monday around 4:26 p.m.
According to Kate Van Daele, public information officer for the city of Duluth, the call came in originally for a vehicle fire. When crews arrived on the scene, they found a pickup truck engulfed in flames in a storage unit at Rent-A-Space. A volunteer firefighter had passed by the scene, noticed the fire and stopped to help the owners of the vehicle with a fire extinguisher.
The fire spread to two storage units near the truck and additional fire crews were dispatched to the scene. When other crews arrived, they were able to quickly knock down the fire on the storage units first, then the vehicle fire.
The owners of the vehicle had been welding a metal patch to a rusted area of the truck when the fire started. It is assumed that sparks from the welding hit the interior of the truck and ignited, Van Daele said.
No injuries were reported. The truck is considered a total loss and damage to the two storage units is estimated to be approximately $15,000. There was also additional smoke damage to other units in the facility.
Several Duluth Fire Department units responded to the scene.