Fire destroys Iron Range home
No one was injured when a house in Lavell Township was destroyed by fire Sunday afternoon.
The St. Louis County Sheriff's Office responded at 4:38 p.m. to a report of a house on fire southeast of Hibbing at 9578 Zim Road.
"The lone occupant of the residence at the time escaped the house without injury and was able to flag down a passerby who called 911," the Sheriff's Office said in a news release. The A-frame house was quickly consumed by fire and is considered a total loss. The owner told authorities the fire started in the basement where a space heater was being used to warm the water pipes, the news release said.
The Minnesota State Fire Marshal is investigating the incident. Fire departments from Cherry, Clinton, Central Lakes, Toivola and McDavitt townships responded.