Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Early morning fire displaces duplex residents

 

No one was injured, but occupants of a two-story duplex in the Central Hillside neighborhood were displaced in an early morning fire on Friday.

According to Duluth Assistant Fire Chief Clint Reff, the fire at 331 E. Fifth St. was reported just before 2 a.m. Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the roof. All occupants had escaped from the building by the time they arrived. It took three hours to put out the fire, which caused $20,000 in damage to the structure and $30,000 to contents.

Residents were unable to return to their homes, Reff said in a news release. The American Red Cross is assisting two residents, while the other tenants are staying with family.

The cause of the fire was electrical and was accidental, Reff said.