A North Shore restaurant will remain temporarily closed following a Saturday fire.
The blaze was reported at Northern Lights Roadhouse in Beaver Bay at 10:50 a.m., Lake County Sheriff Carey Johnson told the News Tribune.
Johnson reported that the fire was quickly extinguished, and there was not believed to be significant structural damage. He said the blaze started on the building’s upper apartment level and did not result in any injuries.
Brian Singleton, a partner in the business and the son of owner Margy Porter, said he was told that the fire started in a dryer in his mother’s upstairs residence. He said the restaurant area also sustained smoke and water damage.
Singleton said his family was awaiting an insurance adjuster's visit on Monday to assess the severity of damages and determine the next steps.
“We’re looking to open as soon as possible, but there will be a lot of hoops to jump through,” he said. “We are hoping to be open within the next two months.”
The restaurant is at 1040 Main St. on the southern edge of Beaver Bay along State Highway 61. It has operated as Northern Lights for the past 25 years.
Singleton said the restaurant was open at the time of the fire, and it was an employee who called 911 after entering a bathroom and smelling smoke. Singleton said he quickly arrived at the business and observed smoke from outside.
The first fire crews were on scene within 11 minutes, he said, crediting their efforts to keep damage to a minimum. The Silver Bay, Finland and Two Harbors fire departments all assisted.
Singleton acknowledged that the closure comes at an inopportune time, as the summer tourism season gets underway.
“This is the season when we make most of the money for the year,” he said, “but you can’t plan a fire.”
He added: “It’s a loss, but at the same time it’s positive that no one was hurt. It could’ve been a lot worse.”