ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Fire strikes neighboring homes in Lakeside

No one was injured early Tuesday when a pair of homes burned in the Lakeside neighborhood.Duluth firefighters battled the fire on two fronts after responding to what began as a garage fire at 4822 Oakley St. just after midnight, a Duluth Fire Dep...

No one was injured early Tuesday when a pair of homes burned in the Lakeside neighborhood.
Duluth firefighters battled the fire on two fronts after responding to what began as a garage fire at 4822 Oakley St. just after midnight, a Duluth Fire Department news release said.
The main fire included three vehicles in the garage and driveway, with the fire extending into the attic area of the home. Firefighters cut a hole into the home’s roof to aid ventilation and were able to bring the fire swiftly under control, the news release said. Damage to that home and garage was estimated at $100,000, the news release said. The occupants were out of the house upon firefighters’ arrival; while they were able to gather some belongings, they were unable to return to the house.
Exposure to the neighboring home was quickly knocked down, said the news release, and the occupant was able to return. Damage was estimated at $40,000.
The fire was caused by an unattended charcoal grill, according to acting assistant chief Jeff Runquist. A total of 21 firefighters battled the fire for three hours.

Related Topics: FIRES
What To Read Next
The system crashed earlier this month, grounding flights across the U.S.