SUBSCRIBE NOW Just 99¢ for your first month



Duluth man arrested on first-degree manslaughter charges

Officers found an unconscious man on the floor who was later pronounced dead at the scene

police lights.jpg
We are part of The Trust Project.

A 46-year-old Duluth man was arrested on first-degree manslaughter charges early Saturday morning after allegedly assaulting a man who was later pronounced dead at the scene.

At approximately 12:50 a.m. Saturday, Duluth police officers responded to the 100 block of North 54th Avenue East where dispatchers advised officers that a 42-year-old man was punched in the head and laid unconscious, according to a news release from the Duluth Police Department.

Upon arrival at the scene, officers found an unconscious man on the floor who was later pronounced dead.

After further investigation, officers learned that Anthony Laspina had been in an argument and physical altercation with the 42-year-old man that led to his unconscious state.

Laspina was transported to a local hospital for an injury received during the fight and later transported to the Public Safety Building to be interviewed, where he caused "damage to the interview room," according to the release.


Laspina was then transported to the St. Louis County Jail for pending first-degree manslaughter charges.

Authorities are withholding the name of the deceased man until his relatives can be notified.

Abigael Smith graduated from the University of Minnesota Duluth with a double major in journalism and English and a minor in Digital Writing, Literature, and Design.
What to read next
The Amnesty report calls for full restoration of tribal jurisdiction over crimes committed in Indian country, and increased funding for prosecution, law enforcement and health care.
More than 5,000 students qualified for the 2022 presidential scholar awards as a result of their SAT or ACT scores, or through nominations.
The USDA livestreamed the report on May 12, 2022.
Detroit Lakes police and firefighters, Becker County deputies, state troopers and medical personnel from Essentia St. Mary’s EMS all worked together to safely remove the two from the debris.