Downtown, Canal Park roads closed for tonight's parade
Today's Christmas City of the North Parade will create detours, road closures and special no parking zones, the Duluth Police Department reports. The parade begins at 6:30 p.m. From the assembly point on Railroad Street, the parade will travel ea...
Today's Christmas City of the North Parade will create detours, road closures and special no parking zones, the Duluth Police Department reports.
The parade begins at 6:30 p.m. From the assembly point on Railroad Street, the parade will travel east on Railroad Street to Lake Avenue, across the Lake Avenue Bridge, then west on Superior Street to its end at Fifth Avenue West.
Sixty-three groups plan to participate this year's 47th annual parade, including 17 bands and seven dance groups. The parade will air live on KBJR-TV/Channel 6 and on Channel 11 on the Iron Range.
Detours and road closures for the parade include:
* Commerce Street between Canal Park Drive and South Lake Avenue will be closed starting at 2:30 p.m.
* Railroad Street between Lake Avenue South and Garfield Avenue will be closed to through traffic after 3:30 p.m. for the parade lineup.
* Interstate 35 northbound and southbound exits onto Lake Avenue will be closed during the parade, from about 6:10-8:20 p.m. Travelers going to Canal Park or Park Point will have to use alternate routes to access Lake Avenue.
* Lake Avenue South will be closed to through traffic at Buchanan Street. Northbound traffic off Park Point will be detoured to Canal Park Drive. Vehicular traffic to and from Park Point will use Canal Park Drive.
* The only access to the Duluth Entertainment Convention Center will be via Fifth Avenue West to Harbor Drive.
No-parking zones for the parade include:
* Superior Street between Sixth Avenue East and Lake Avenue after 4:30 p.m.
* Michigan Street be-tween Fifth and Sixth avenues west after 4:30 p.m.
* Harbor Drive after 3 p.m.
The no-parking rule applies to both sides of the streets and includes handicapped zones.
Bus traffic also will be affected. Duluth Transit Authority buses will be detoured from Superior Street between Fifth Avenue West and Lake Avenue from 6:15-8:45 p.m.
Westbound buses will be detoured onto First Street, and eastbound buses will be detoured onto Second Street. Standard routing will remain for First and Second streets. Additional buses will be available after the parade for parade-goers. Call 722-7283 for more information.