A Babbitt man is facing a murder charge after allegedly selling fentanyl-laced pills that killed a rural Aurora man in March.

Bryce Gardner Duncan, 21, was charged by warrant last week in State District Court in Virginia with a count of third-degree murder in the overdose death of 19-year-old Devin Michael Erickson.

Duncan has not been taken into custody as his whereabouts remain unknown, authorities said.

Investigators said they spoke with witnesses, obtained surveillance video and reviewed electronic communications in the aftermath of Erickson's death from the toxic effects of multiple controlled substances, leading to the identification of Duncan as the supplier.

The criminal complaint states that a Babbitt police officer found the victim in a running pickup truck outside an auto store around 1:20 a.m. March 24. He had apparently been parked there several hours and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Newsletter signup for email alerts

Authorities said they recovered drugs and paraphernalia, including eight oxycodone pills that later tested positive for fentanyl, a small baggie containing methamphetamine, a butane torch and several lighters.

An autopsy later determined that Erickson died as a result of a combination of fentanyl, heroin, methamphetamine and benzodiazepine — a psychoactive drug sold under brand names such as Xanax.

Police said they learned that the victim had last been in contact with another person around 5-6 p.m., about eight hours before he was found dead. And, according to the complaint, a witness stated that he had been taking Xanax pills earlier that afternoon before indicating he was heading to Babbitt to purchase more pills.

A search of Erickson's phone reportedly showed him communicating with Duncan on Snapchat in the days before his death, with the victim asking on March 23: "How much for 20 (of) them and how much for 30?" Duncan allegedly replied with the address of the Babbitt Public Library.

Duncan, when reached by investigators over the phone, acknowledged meeting Erickson at the library, but said he did so to work on the speakers of the victim's truck, the complaint states. He denied exchanging any drugs or money.

However, authorities said bank records showed that Erickson had transferred $240 to a "Bryce Dun" before his death. The transaction posted on March 24.

Police noted that Duncan was also present at the scene of a non-fatal overdose June 20, when a 20-year-old woman was reported to be unresponsive at a Babbitt residence. After initially denying knowledge of the suspect that she had taken, Duncan admitted it was "possibly Xanax" and "probably laced with fentanyl," the complaint states.

Fentanyl is a highly potent synthetic opioid, often laced into other illicit drugs, with about 2 milligrams being enough to kill most people, according to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, which reported a 30% increase in seizures across Minnesota last year.

Authorities said they have been unable to reach Duncan for any follow-up statements. A check of court records reveals only past traffic offenses on his record.

Erickson was a 2019 graduate of Mesabi East High School who worked as a direct support professional at CJ's Bray House in Babbitt and as a cook at Snickers in Eveleth, according to an obituary.

The family wrote that he was a "creative cook" and enjoyed dirt biking, snowmobiling and his truck.

"He had a giant heart and so much potential, which is definitely gone far too soon," the obit read.