The 30-year-old Duluth man arrested Friday night after a standoff longer than six hours in a West Duluth apartment building has been identified as Cody Lee Walker-Nelson, who has previously been convicted of various crimes dating as far back as 2009.

Walker-Nelson awaits charges of first-degree aggravated armed robbery, theft of a motor vehicle, intent to discharge a firearm, fleeing a police officer and possessing a firearm as a convicted felon.

The suspect was previously convicted of several crimes dating as far back as 2009. He was sentenced to 2½ years in prison in 2014 for impersonating a police officer while trying to get into the safes of two Central Hillside gas stations. He was also previously convicted of first-degree burglary and third-degree arson.

 Cody Lee Walker Nelson
Cody Lee Walker Nelson

Walker-Nelson was apprehended around 8:30 p.m. Friday after law enforcement used non-lethal shots in an attempt to get the suspect to peacefully surrender. The suspect fired shots while inside the apartment, according to the Duluth Police Department, though no one was injured in the standoff.

Newsletter signup for email alerts

PREVIOUSLY: UPDATED: Police apprehend man after standoff in West Duluth

Prior to the standoff at 601 N. Central Ave., Superior Police Department officers responded to the first of many related disturbances early Friday afternoon. Superior police attempted to stop a dark blue SUV driving the wrong way on the Bong Bridge shortly after 12:30 p.m. Witnesses told officers the vehicle had turned around and went back toward Duluth, according to a news release from the Superior police.

The Superior Police Department then responded to a report of an attempted armed robbery at Associated Bank in Superior. Police were told a man pointed a handgun at a bank teller through a drive-through window. The bank teller escaped the situation and the man fled in the blue SUV he was driving. Shortly after, Superior police were notified that the car was found abandoned in Duluth.

"Although the investigation is still ongoing, the Superior Police Department believes the suspect in the attempted armed robbery has been apprehended by the Duluth Police Department, and there is no ongoing danger regarding this incident," the release said.

Duluth police said in a statement that the suspect barricaded himself in the West Duluth apartment building around 1:30 p.m.

The News Tribune typically does not name suspects prior to being formally charged with a few exceptions, such as high-profile cases.