Editor's note: This is part of an ongoing series on opioid overdoses in the Northland.

To read the main story, go here.

If you witness someone overdosing, call 911. Even with successful Narcan use, overdose victims need immediate medical care.

Minnesota's Good Samaritan Law protects those who call in an overdose, and those who are overdosing, from criminal prosecution.

The Duluth Police Department has a non-emergency opioid hotline: 218-730-4009

Newsletter signup for email alerts

For help with drug addiction, there are a number of local and national resources to help get referred to treatment.

Birch Tree Center


Center for Alcohol and Drug Treatment


St. Louis County Public Health and Human Services

South St Louis County: 218-726-2204

North St Louis County: 218-262-6054

Mental Health Crisis Text Line

Text MN to 741741

SAMHSA National Helpline


You can read an introduction to the series here.

For a story about the psychology of addiction, go here.

To view an interactive map of public overdoses, go here.