Twin Cities-area day care provider’s husband sentenced for sexually assaulting children
ROSEVILLE, Minn. — The husband of a Roseville day care provider who sexually assaulted children in their home will spend the next decade in prison.
Edgar Noe Lopez-Monter was sentenced Friday in Ramsey County District Court to about 14 years in prison.
The sentence came two months after a jury convicted the 46-year-old of two counts of first- and second-degree criminal sexual conduct.
One of the victim’s parents spoke at the sentencing, and a letter written by one of the children was read into the record.
Lopez-Monter maintained his innocence, according to his attorney, Christopher Keyser.
“It’s very difficult for him to have the verdict that was rendered and then obviously the sentence that was given,” Keyser said. “He is extremely disappointed but he understands there is a process and he took his case to trial and the state proved it beyond a reasonable doubt and now he has to accept that.”
Police began investigating Lopez-Monter after receiving a report in August 2017 that a 6-year-old had asked her day care provider, Joy Lopez, to tell her husband to stop kissing her, legal documents say.
The girl and her 9-year-old sister later told their mother that Lopez-Monter had been kissing them for years when his wife wasn’t present in the home, the complaint said.
The 9-year-old also said Lopez-Monter fondled her on multiple occasions dating back to when she was 6.
The girl reported that Lopez-Monter asked her not to tell anybody about the conduct and said he loved her, according to legal documents.
Another child told someone at her school that Lopez-Monter had exposed himself to her and masturbated in her presence when she formerly was in Lopez’s care.
Lopez ran a day care in the couple’s home on the 300 block of Judith Avenue in Roseville.
Her day care license has since been revoked, according to the Minnesota Department of Human Services.
An investigation by the department found that sexual abuse of children by someone required to have a background study had taken place while under Lopez’s care, according to the Order for Revocation issued in June.
It also found that one of the sexual assaults had taken place while the day care provider was sleeping.
Until her revocation, Lopez had been a licensed day care provider since 2006.
The couple has three juvenile children, according to Lopez-Monter’s attorney.