Canosia Township twins' deaths found to be accidental
The deaths of twin brothers Jerry and Terry Rousse, 68, were found to be accidental by a preliminary autopsy.
DULUTH — The cause of death was determined to be accidental for twin brothers whose bodies were found inside a house damaged by fire Saturday morning.
Jerry Rousse and Terry Rousse, 68, were found dead inside the house at 5728 Industrial Road in Canosia Township at approximately 11:46 a.m. when emergency responders arrived for a welfare check and a report of a possible structure fire, according to a news release from the St. Louis County Sheriff's Office.
A person who called 911 reported stopping by the residence following numerous attempts in the previous days to contact the men.
Terry Rousse's death was caused by smoke inhalation and thermal injury due to fire. Jerry Rousse's death was caused by smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide toxicity, according to preliminary autopsy reports from the Midwest Medical Examiner's Office and the Sheriff's Office.
The Sheriff's Office has not yet received any official reports from the Fire Marshal's Office. However, officials believe the fire was accidental.
During the investigation, deputies found an inoperable smoke detector in the residence. The Sheriff's Office stressed the importance of regularly testing smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are in good working order.