ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Blazing piano closes Proctor schools

A fire on an upright piano in a hallway at Proctor High School on Friday morning caused little damage to the school but sent students home for the day.

A fire on an upright piano in a hallway at Proctor High School on Friday morning caused little damage to the school but sent students home for the day.

The fire was reported about 11 a.m. in a basement hallway. The piano appeared to be a loss, but the fire did not spread. A ceiling sprinkler doused the fire before crews arrived. There was some water damage to ceiling tiles and carpeting. Maintenance, police and fire crews said there was no major damage, and no one was hurt.

A hallway camera apparently captured two girls using a lighter to start a fire on a covering over the wooden piano, and two teachers said they saw the girls fleeing the scene. It wasn't clear whether the girls had been apprehended Friday afternoon, school officials said. No damage estimate was available.

Students in the senior and junior highs were sent home for the day because the connected schools lost water pressure. Proctor Superintendent Diane Rauschenfels said classes will resume Monday.

The Earth Day Fair and dedication of the school's new wind-powered electrical generator scheduled for Friday has been moved to Monday.

What To Read Next
The system crashed earlier this month, grounding flights across the U.S.