Biz Buzz (June 20)
HIRES AND PROMOTIONS * Kim Dowell of Duluth was hired as coordinator for SOAR Career Solution's Community OffenderRe-entry Program. She will work with local corrections facilities and organizations to coordinate employment-seeking, housing, menta...
HIRES AND PROMOTIONS
* Kim Dowell of Duluth was hired as coordinator for SOAR Career Solution's Community OffenderRe-entry Program. She will work with local corrections facilities and organizations to coordinate employment-seeking, housing, mental health and chemical dependency services, and transportation for offenders who have completed their sentences.
Dowell earned a bachelor's degree in community services from Bemidji State University and has 24 years of experience working in corrections-based nonprofits, serving adult and juvenile clients. She most recently supervised an adult diversion program for first-time offenders in Ramsey County.
* WesternBank promoted Lisa Mertz to mortgage banker by at its Spirit Valley location. Mertz previously was a processor in the bank's mortgage department.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
* UMD announced Kenneth L. Gilbertson and Rajiv Vaidyanathan received 2008 President's awards for outstanding service to the university, its schools, colleges, departments and service units. Gilbertson is an associate professor in the health, physical education and recreation department. Vaidyanathan is a professor in the marketing department at the Labovitz School of Business and Economics.
* The 51st annual Minnesota Inventors Congress, held June 14 in Redwood Falls, Minn., recognized:
Lance Reasor of Duluth with a bronze medallion for his caulk warmer, an electric warmer that provides better caulk flow in low temperatures;
Robert Adamczak of Moose Lake with a bronze medallion for his ladder buddy tray, which mounts to the side rail on most ladders and holds many items;
Hannah Walther and Annie Chormy with the Kid's Choice Award for Esko Public Schools' mathopia competition.
NAME CHANGE/BOARD ELECTIONS
* Lake Superior Advertising Federation changed its name to AAF Duluth-Superior as part of its attempt to more closely align member clubs across the country. Also announced was the 2008-09 AAF board: Nicole Sandman, Flint Interactive, president; Denise Archer, HT Klatzky & Assoc., vice president; Jeff Ruprecht, HT Klatzky & Assoc., past president; Melissa D'Aloia, Out There Advertising, treasurer; Katie Botten, Northland's News Center, secretary; Jennifer Walker, Stewart Taylor Printing, executive director; and Lisa Blade, Grandma's Marathon; Kelly Eldien, Minnesota Power; Jake Kapsner, HT Klatzky & Assoc.; Jordan Milan, WestmorelandFlint; and Michael Rasmusson, Midwest Communications, members.
Biz Buzz is a collection of business news tidbits from around the region. Send your business openings or closings, personnel changes or other news of interest in the business community to Biz Buzz, Duluth News Tribune, 424 W. First St., Duluth, MN 55802, email firstname.lastname@example.org , or fax 720-4120.