SUBSCRIBE NOW Just 99¢ for your first month



Arrest made after 7-hour standoff in Duluth's Piedmont Heights neighborhood

The public was asked to stay away from the 2200 block of Nanticoke Street while police were on the scene for seven hours.

A white smoky gas is emitted after a loud "bang" was heard during a standoff between the Duluth Police Department and a 30-year-old man with multiple arrest warrants in the Piedmont Heights neighborhood Thursday, April 22, 2021. (Teri Cadeau /
We are part of The Trust Project.

After a standoff lasting seven hours, a 30-year-old Duluth man who resisted arrest and barricaded himself inside his house in Duluth's Piedmont neighborhood Thursday afternoon was taken into custody by the Duluth Police Department at approximately 8:21 p.m. He was transported to a nearby hospital to be checked over before being taken to the St. Louis County Jail.

The man has several active felony warrants, including first-degree criminal sexual conduct, a first-degree DWI and first-degree domestic assault. He also has pending criminal cases for first-degree criminal sexual conduct, felony domestic assault by strangulation and misdemeanor domestic assault.

The standoff started shortly after 1 p.m. when police attempted to arrest the man outside the residence on the 2200 block of Nanticoke Street. He then fled into the residence and barricaded himself inside. According to Duluth Police Department Lt. Tim Jazdzewski, after three or four hours of negotiations with the suspect, he "refused to cooperate and come out," prompting police to call in their tactical response team.

Just before 5 p.m., as police spoke through a loudspeaker, a series of loud noises could be heard coming from inside the house. It was not apparent what the noises were. A woman standing nearby yelled "Oh, my God," and started crying.


Police continued to issue commands from the loudspeaker, saying “Exit with your hands up.”

At around 7:20 p.m., an armored St. Louis County Sheriff's Office Emergency Response Team truck and K-9 team also arrived on the scene and were approaching the house. A loud "bang" could be heard from inside.

Law enforcement and rescue personnel work at the scene of a standoff on the 2200 block of Nanticoke Street in Duluth on Thursday, April 22, 2021. (Clint Austin /

Police were actively trying to bring a safe outcome to the situation, police department spokesperson Kate Van Daele said at approximately 7:30 p.m. They didn't know at the time if the person in the house was armed, but knew he was the only person inside the residence.

At around 8:10 p.m., law enforcement was flying a drone near the rear windows of the house.

“I’ve never seen this many officers ever in this neighborhood” bystander Skip Lovold said. Lovold was an area resident for 18 years. His daughter lives near the scene.

Jazdzewski thanked nearby residents for their patience while having their street shut down.


Members of the Duluth Police Department's tactical response team remain in position around a residence on the 2200 block of Nanticoke Street during a standoff with a 30-year-old Duluth man with multiple warrants Thursday, April 22, 2021. (Teri Cadeau /

“Our officers exhausted every option to have this situation end safely,” Deputy Chief Nick Lukovsky said. “These are tense, stressful and exhausting incidents. I am really proud of the men and women of the Duluth Police Department, our Tactical Response Team and those who assisted tonight.”

The Duluth Police Department remained the lead agency in this situation while members of the Superior Police Department and St. Louis County Sheriff’s Office Emergency Response Team assisted.

This story was last updated at 10:22 p.m. April 22. It was originally posted at 4:29 p.m. April 22.

Piedmont Heights standoff.jpg
An armored Emergency Response Team vehicle moves into position at the site of a standoff on Nanticoke Street in the Piedmont Heights neighborhood of Duluth on Thursday, April 22, 2021. (Izabel Johnson /


Duluth police respond to an incident in the Piedmont Heights neighborhood Thursday, April 22, 2021. (Teri Cadeau /

Izabel Johnson
What to read next
The National Weather Service confirmed the tornado Saturday, citing a "consistent tree fall pattern indicative of a tornado."
Ground improvements, creek-merging and steel placement among latest Twin Ports Interchange developments.
The commissioning of USS Minneapolis-Saint Paul, the first ceremony like it in state history, packed the port with dignitaries, military service veterans.
Public health department issues guidance as county joins 12 others in which the flu has been detected.