Ammonia leak at Curling Club leads to DECC evacuation
Hazmat crews were investigating the origin of the leak.
An ammonia leak at the Duluth Curling Club prompted an evacuation of the Duluth Entertainment Convention Center on Tuesday evening.
Just before 7 p.m., the Duluth Fire Department responded to a call for a possible ammonia leak at the curling club, according to a news release. Crews at the scene confirmed that ammonia was in the space and began evacuating the curling club, Pioneer Hall and most other areas of the DECC. Only Amsoil Arena and Marcus Theaters were not evacuated. Harbor Drive is also in the process of being shut down.
Hazmat crews were on the scene evaluating the origin of the leak and investigating.
Marcus Duluth Cinema posted on its Facebook page around 8:30 p.m. that all shows starting 8:45 p.m. or later Tuesday night were canceled at the request of the fire department due to the leak. The theater said it would be open for normal business Wednesday and is able to issue refunds for presold tickets.
In a statement to the press, DECC Executive Director Dan Hartman said that no DECC staff, first responders or members of the public have been injured in this incident and that "there is no threat to the immediate area."
"The presence of anhydrous ammonia in the released cooling agent requires that authorities and first responders evacuate the area until it is determined safe to return to this space," Hartman said. " This event is currently unfolding and we’ll be working with authorities to keep the public updated."
This story was updated with information from the DECC at 9:30 p.m., July 13. It was first published at 8:41 p.m., July 13. This is a developing story, check back for updates.