BRAINERD, Minn.-A Cambridge, Minn., man helped his sister prepare food for 30 minutes in a northern Minnesota senior living facility where she was a cook before allegedly stabbing her with a knife multiple times in the neck, leaving her for dead. He also planned to kill others, said charges filed Tuesday, Jan. 16.

David Michael Otey, 37, made his first appearance Tuesday on those charges in Crow Wing County District Court in Brainerd, where he was charged with felony second-degree intentional murder without premeditation.

A Crow Wing County Sheriff's deputy escorted Otey-in an orange jail jumpsuit with no socks or shoes on-into the courtroom. He was strapped in a wheelchair and he did not speak.

Brainerd public defender Jessen Alexander told the court Otey had not communicated with anyone Tuesday, but communicated previously. Otey had not completed an application to have a public defender represent him or filled out his statement of rights document, District Court Judge Kristine DeMay said. Alexander said he went over the defendant's rights.

DeMay told Otey if he wanted to communicate with the court to let her know. Otey said no words and had a stoic expression on his face during the hearing.

Crow Wing County Attorney Don Ryan, the prosecuting attorney, told the court the case is a "very serious matter," as Otey intended to kill others, not just his sister. Ryan asked the court to set a $3 million unconditional bail, which was granted.

According to the criminal complaint, Otey left Cambridge at 6:45 a.m. Saturday to travel to the Heartwood Senior Living Community in Crosby to meet with his sister, Danyele Marie Johnson, who worked in the kitchen at Heartwood. The visit was unannounced and unexpected. During the previous night, Otey drove throughout the state thinking about killing his sister, the complaint stated.

When Otey arrived, his sister let him into the senior living facility. Otey assisted his sister preparing food for 30 minutes, then he took a knife and began stabbing her, the complaint stated. A co-worker called law enforcement.

A Crosby police officer was the first to respond. The officer was met by a frantic woman outside Heartwood who let him into the locked facility. Once inside, another frantic co-worker pointed to the kitchen stating, "He's in there!"

The officer drew his weapon, breached the door and observed the defendant kneeling down on the floor. The officer ordered Otey to put his hands up. The officer heard what sounded like a knife drop and bounce off the floor as the defendant complied. The officer moved around the counter and observed Johnson lying lifeless in a pool of blood in front of Otey, the complaint stated.

At this time, Otey was taken into custody. Cuyuna Regional Medical Center paramedics arrived and declared Johnson dead at the scene. Johnson's body was transported to the Ramsey County Medical Examiner's Office for an autopsy. The cause of death was determined to be exsanguination due to multiple stab wounds to the body and incised wounds to the neck, the complaint stated. The manner of death was declared a homicide.

Following his arrest, the defendant gave a statement to law enforcement when he confessed to killing his sister. He also stated he was thinking about killing other people after killing his sister, as well.