Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Carbon monoxide suspected at Eveleth nursing home

A possible carbon monoxide exposure at Fitzgerald Nursing Home in Eveleth sent five people to the hospital as a “precautionary measure,” authorities say, though no one was reported injured.

Eveleth Fire Chief Scott Haas said staff at the home, located at 227 McKinley Ave., called in a suspected carbon monoxide leak around 8:20 a.m. Sunday. Emergency responders did not pick up any readings of carbon monoxide, he said. A generator was suspected of causing the alarming smell and was shut off.

Three staff members and two residents were treated and released from Essentia Health Virginia, Haas said.

The Minnesota State Fire Marshal asks residents to be mindful of fire safety and prevention by:

  • Staying in the kitchen while cooking
  • Disposing of cigarettes in a sturdy container
  • Testing smoke and carbon monoxide alarms monthly
  • Not leaving space heaters or candles unattended
  • Having the furnace and fireplace checked annually
randomness