Jim Maslowski waited nearly 28 years to see an arrest in the cold case of his mother's killing on the Iron Range.

That day finally came one year ago, when Bruce Wayne Cameron was formally charged and taken into custody in the 1987 death of 83-year-old Leona Mary Maslowski in Virginia.

Newsletter signup for email alerts

And while there has yet to be any sign of resolution in the criminal case, Maslowski's family is remaining patient in the search for long-delayed justice.

"Sometimes, the wheels of justice move at glacial speed," Jim Maslowski said Thursday from his home in Wichita, Kan.

Cameron, 45, was charged in State District Court with intentional second-degree murder on June 3, 2015 - a day after he allegedly confessed to Virginia police when confronted with decades-old fingerprint evidence that had been re-analyzed.

Gary Bjorklund, criminal division head of the St. Louis County Attorney's Office, said the case has been slow-moving because the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension has conducted additional forensic testing since Cameron's arrest and the defense has requested time to review evidence.

It was a door in Leona Maslowski's apartment that was key for authorities in finally charging a suspect.

Maslowski, a widow and lifelong resident of the Range, was found stabbed, beaten and strangled on Oct. 5, 1987, in her duplex residence at 328 Seventh St. S. Police had few leads at the time but saved all evidence from the scene in hope of someday finding a killer.

Evidence was periodically tested by the BCA and matched against criminal databases. Police long knew that there were fingerprints on the door, but it was not until last year that they determined they matched Cameron's.

Jim Maslowski, a retired rear admiral in the U.S. Navy, said he traveled to Virginia in April to meet with prosecutor Brian Simonson and BCA special agent Paul Gherardi. There are no remaining family members living in the immediate area.

"From my family's perspective, after so many years, expediency seems to be somewhat irrelevant," he said. "We're just hoping for a fair and proper trial. And if he is convicted, due justice will prevail."

Cameron, along with other partygoers, had talked to police in the years since the killing, but he was never formally questioned as a suspect until the forensic tests were revealed, police said last year.

Confronted with the evidence, officials said Cameron admitted that he had been to a party at the upstairs apartment and entered Maslowski's apartment, while he was "most likely drunk" and searching for alcohol.

Cameron allegedly told investigators that he was confronted by Maslowski and that he punched her, struck her in the head with a blunt object and possibly strangled her.

The defendant's sister, Susan Cameron, said her brother would fight the charge, believing that the confession was forced by police.

"I've known him all these years, and he's never hurt anybody," she told the News Tribune last summer. "I stand by him 100 percent, and we're going to fight this. I know he would never do anything like this."

Cameron had a felony theft conviction in 1993, but his criminal record in Minnesota is otherwise minor.

He was just 16 at the time of Maslowski's death. There is no statute of limitations for murder in Minnesota, and his right to be tried in juvenile court ended when he turned 21.

Cameron is being held at the St. Louis County Jail on $1 million bail. He is due back in court on July 28.