A Sawyer County man who was rescued from his burning home by two neighbors on Monday night is expected to survive.

Mike Remmert of 7831 N. Clarence Ave., was listed in serious condition at the Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis on Tuesday, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Marvin Mullet, chief of the Bass Lake Fire Department, said his department was paged to a structure fire at Remmert’s home at 10:25 p.m. on Monday. Firefighters arrived seven minutes later to find Remmert outside of the home but unconscious.

Mullet said a neighbor, Brad Runion, had seen the fire from his house, called the fire department and then went into the burning home to search for Remmert, who lived alone.

Runion found Remmert, who was unconscious, and began trying to drag him out but was unable to do so. He called for help and another neighbor, Adam Martin, arrived and helped get Remmert out.

Remmert was taken to Hayward Memorial Hospital and then airlifted to Hennepin County Medical Center, Mullet said. Runion also went to the hospital to be checked out for smoke inhalation.

“It was pretty traumatic,” Mullet said.

The fire itself was a “pretty quick knockdown,” Mullet said. The structure, which he described as a made-over trailer, remained standing but had heavy heat damage. No damage estimate was available.

Mullet described the actions of the two neighbors as a “definite life-saving thing. It’s tough for firefighters to find bodies in houses.”

Mullet said the fire started in the area of the kitchen stove.

Remmert “was working all kinds of hours,” Mullet said. “It looks like he had oil cooking for french fries and fell asleep.”

The home is in a neighborhood near Lac Courte Oreilles, about 12 miles southeast of Hayward.

Six firefighters from Bass Lake, six from Stone Lake and a couple from the Lac Courtes Oreilles Band responded to the fire, using about 7,500 gallons of water, Mullet said.

Newsletter signup for email alerts