One of the men accused of taking part in the murder of a Gary-New Duluth man filed a motion Thursday asking for a mental health evaluation.
Sequoyah James Bosto, 18, is charged with intentional second-degree murder in the June slaying of Donald O'Brien, 49. He appeared in St. Louis County District Court on Thursday before 6th Judicial District Judge Heather Sweetland.
Bosto was scheduled to be sentenced last week after pleading guilty to the charge against him, but told the court he wanted to withdraw his plea.
His alleged accomplice in the murder, Jordan Michael Metoxen, 18, was sentenced to 40 years in prison for his role in the murder.
Metoxen said he and Bosto kicked and stomped O'Brien, a licensed practical nurse, as he walked to his home on June 9. He died the next day of multiple traumatic injuries to his face, head and neck resulting in massive brain trauma and bleeding.
Bosto also informed the court that he has fired his public defender and plans to hire an attorney from the Twin Cities.
Sweetland took Bosto's motion under advisement. His next court appearance hasn't been scheduled. He continues to be held in the St. Louis County Jail.