• Crown Prince Olav and Crown Princess Martha dedicated Enger Tower in Duluth on June 15, 1939. It's named for Bert Enger, a native of Norway who immigrated to Duluth and made a fortune selling furniture.
  • According to research by Patricia Maus, curator of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Center, Enger gave $50,000 in his lifetime toward purchase of the park property. In his will, he left another $50,000 of his $185,000 estate to build a monument.
  • Newsletter signup for email alerts
  • The site for the observation tower was selected in October 1934. The actual location is 16th Avenue West and Skyline Parkway. It was built of native bluestone.
  • Enger Tower cost $30,000 to build. It's 70 feet tall and six stories high. You can see 31.4 miles from the top on a clear day.
  • Earlier this month, the Duluth City Council unanimously approved Mayor Don Ness' proposal to spend $372,226 in tourism tax money for repairs to the tower. Proposed repairs include tuck-pointing, replacement of missing bluestone; electrical and lighting work; plaster and concrete patching; roof work; replacement of railings and a gate; and improving accessibility. In addition, Rotary Club No. 25 of Duluth has announced it will donate $100,000 to bathe Enger Tower in light.