MARSHALL, Minn. - A 20-year-old Balaton, Minn., man tied to the shooting of Daniel Scheff in July near Granite Falls, Minn., is now alleged to have murdered two people last week in their Balaton home.

Derek Michael Hexum is alleged to have killed James Donald Hively, 75, and Catherine Agnes Hively, 71, after breaking into their home Thursday. He also allegedly stole firearms and set fire to the home.

Hexum made his first appearance Monday on the Lyon County murder charges, along with three counts of burglary in the first degree and two counts of first- and second-degree arson.

Two other suspects are also tied to the case.

Theodore Allen Como, 18, of Marshall, faces identical charges of murder, burglary and arson.

Kyle Richard Wesselink, 21, of Tyler, is charged with first-degree arson, first-degree burglary and receiving stolen property.

All three suspects will make their next court appearances May 19.

According to the criminal complaint in the case, law enforcement responded to a fire around 9 a.m. Thursday in the 1600 block of 180th Avenue in Balaton, where they found James and Catherine Hively dead inside the home.

Around 3 p.m. that day, a Marshall police officer conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle. The driver, Wesselink, allegedly did not have a license or insurance.

During a search of the vehicle, the officer found five firearms in the trunk, three of which matched the description of those believed stolen from the Hively home.

One of the guns matched the description of a shotgun stolen during a burglary reported earlier that morning in Ghent, Minn. A man reported that both his pickup truck and shotgun had been stolen overnight. The man's pickup truck was later found burning at a vacant farm site in Florence.

Wesselink and his passenger, Como, were arrested and interviewed by law enforcement, according to the criminal complaint.

Wesselink reportedly told law enforcement that he gave Como and Hexum a ride to the Hively home. He said Como and Hexum entered the house. He said he later saw that the house and garage were on fire and then saw Hexum carrying guns back to the vehicle.

Como reportedly told law enforcement that Wesselink had dropped him and Hexum off at the Hively home to commit a burglary. Como said he opened the door of the residence and Hexum went inside with a shotgun. He said he then heard four or five shots and screaming, according to the criminal complaint.

After the gunshots were fired, Como said he went inside the house and started to steal items, the complaint states. Como said they also took a vehicle owned by the couple.

Como said that he and Hexum later decided that they needed to destroy evidence and drove back to the Hively residence to set it on fire.

After interviewing Wesselink and Como, law enforcement then arrested Hexum, who denied any involvement in any burglary, murders or arson.

The autopsies of James and Catherine Hively confirmed that they both died as a result of gunshot wounds, according to the criminal complaint.

According to news archives, Hexum was sentenced in December in Yellow Medicine County District Court on a felony conviction of aiding an offender to avoid arrest for his role in the shooting of Scheff last year near Granite Falls.

Derek Hexum was sentenced to 213 days of jail and a one-year stayed prison sentence, which was maximum sentence provided under sentencing guidelines.

During the Dec. 12 sentencing, Judge Thomas Van Hon said he wished he had the authority to impose a greater sentence.

His older brother Devin has begun serving more than 10 years in prison for shooting Scheff in the abdomen multiple times.

The two brothers fled law enforcement after the shooting and were apprehended a couple days later after a chase.