Friends of the Edna G celebrate the tugboat's 125th anniversary. Go to frendsofednag.org for more details.
- 4:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 27: Fish fry and live music at the American Legion Post 109.
- 8 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 28: Pancake breakfast at Two Harbors Moose Lodge.
- 9 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 28: Tours of the Edna G. An online virtual tour of the tug is also available.
- Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 28-29: Family-friendly activities at Paul Van Hoven Park including kid's sack races, tug of war, face painting, rubber chicken toss and a coloring/writing/art contest.
- 8:45 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 28: Fireworks display.
- 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 29, Paul Van Hoven Park.
Movies in the Park screens "Tom & Jerry," PG, Friday, Aug. 27, and "Grease", PG, Sunday, Aug. 29, at Leif Erikson Park. Bring a chair or blanket. Free admission.
School of the Minnesota Ballet Saturday Sampler, Saturday, Aug. 28, Ballet’s Studios, The Depot, 506 W. Michigan St. A chance for potential students to try a class free of charge and new students to be evaluated for placement in appropriate class levels. No dance clothes are needed for the sampler, just comfortable clothing. There will also be presentations and a free ice cream social. Masks will be required inside the Depot and Minnesota Ballet spaces.
Schedule for sampler classes only:
10 - 10:30 a.m. Creative Movement (ages 3-5)
- 10:30 - 11 a.m. Pre-Ballet (ages 6-7)
- 11:15 - 11:45 a.m. Ballet Technique (ages 8-10)
- 11:45 - 12:15 p.m. Ballet Technique (ages 11-adult)
- 12:30 - 1 p.m. Beginning Tap (ages 10-adult)
- 1 -1:30 p.m. Jazz/Musical Theater (ages 12-adult)
- 1:30-2 p.m. Modern (ages 12-adult)
The School of the Minnesota Ballet is registering students for Semester I, which runs September 13 - January 15, offering Creative Movement for age 3; pre-ballet on three levels; ballet technique on seven levels; pointe; jazz, style and repertoire for upper ballet levels; men’s class; and ABLE, for children with physical/developmental challenges. Open Classes offer teens and adults ballet on two levels, jazz, tap, tap for youth, Pilates, and ballroom. Admission to open classes is by passes, which may be purchased at minnesotaballet.punchpass.com. Call 218-733-7570 or go to mnballet.org.
The 8th District MN State Horticultural Society's Fall meeting and get-together “Sunny September at Olcott Park: The Greenhouse, the Fountain and More!,” 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sept. 11, Olcott Park, 711 N. Ninth Ave. W., Virginia. Coffee and check in at 10 a.m. at the bandstand. Greenhouse tours at 10:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 2 p.m. Business meeting and award presentations at 11 a.m. with a box lunch served at noon. Speaker: Rick Juliusson, MSHS Executive Director. A sunflower contest is planned. Drop off exhibits between 10-11 a.m. Categories include: largest flower, smallest flower, prettiest flower and collection of 3 flowers. Exhibitors must provide their own container. Cash prizes will be awarded. The history of the Park Fountain is planned at 1 p.m. Cost: $20 per person. The event is open to everyone but pre-registration required by Sept. 3. Makes checks payable to District 8 MSHS, and send to Marilyn Kaeli, 205 W. 25th St., Hibbing, MN 55746. Questions and/or late registration requests, call Marilyn at 218-263-3431 or email email@example.com.