American Red Cross blood drives: To make an appointment or for more information, download the Red Cross blood donor app, visit redcrossblood.org, call 800-733-2767 or enable the Blood Donor Skill on any Alexa Echo device.
- 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday, Dec. 18, American Red Cross Northland Chapter, 2524 Maple Grove Road.
- Noon to 6 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 22, Kenwood Lutheran Church, 2720 Myers Ave.
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 23, Shriners Event Center, 5152 Miller Trunk Highway
- 7 a.m. to noon Dec. 24, American Red Cross Northland Chapter, 2524 Maple Grove Road.
- 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 17, Stepping Stones for Living, 5270 Miller Trunk Highway.
- Border Town Betties is accepting donations of nonperishable food, feminine products and paper products at Lady Outlaw Vintage, 916 Hammond Ave. in Superior, through Dec. 21. Items will be delivered to The Ruth House in Superior in time for Christmas. Also, group members are hosting live-stream events on their Facebook page with vintage tips and tricks, and a raffle, to raise money.
AEOA's Meals on Wheels program is in need of volunteer drivers on Tuesdays and every other Friday. Delivery times begin between 9:30-10 a.m. with an approximate delivery time of 1 to 1 1/2 hours. During the Coronavirus pandemic, this service has become more important than ever. Call Kirsten at 218-409-5991 if you are able to help.
The Richard I. Bong Veterans Historical Center, 305 Harborview Parkway, Superior, is collecting donations for residents of the Minnesota Veterans Home in Silver Bay. Donations can be dropped off at the center through Dec. 21. They are now distributing MREs to veterans in need at the center. They have 1,344 meals available to any veteran until all of them are distributed. Go to bongcenter.org/bong-center-gives-back-to-veteran-community-this-holiday-season.
- The Red Kettle campaign is the annual Christmas initiative that helps to fund the Salvation Army volunteers. Bell-ringers raise, on average, $59 per hour in their red kettle. With that amount, the Duluth Salvation Army can feed 24 people with a daily lunch. This year's goal is $215,000. Donations made to The Salvation Army’s Red Kettles at 13 area Super One stores will be matched through Dec. 24, up to $50,000 thanks to a generous challenge from Miner’s Incorporated, owner of Super One Foods. With 17 kettle locations in total, there are 2,753 two-hours shifts for volunteer bell-ringers. As of Dec. 10, over 1,064 two-hour shifts remain open with 355 of them reserved and 709 two-hour shifts that need to be filled. Groups, businesses, civic organizations, families and churches are encouraged to participate. No more than two volunteers can be at a kettle, unless from the same household, where up to four are allowed. To sign up as a volunteer bell-ringer, people can go to this website Register to Ring or call The Duluth Salvation Army at 218-722-7934.
- Volunteer gift wrappers are needed today through Dec. 24 at the Miller Hill Mall. Shoppers can bring their purchases for gift wrapping services. All donations for wrapping services go toward helping people from the greater Duluth area at Christmas and throughout the year.
- The Duluth Salvation Army is asking for volunteers during Distribution Week through Friday, Dec. 18. Food boxes and toys will be distributed Friday. Volunteers are needed to assist the Duluth Salvation Army staff with distribution during the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. with appropriate safety protocols followed. Jersey Mike’s, Little Caesars, Texas Roadhouse, Duluth Grill, OMC Smokehouse, Corktown Deli and Brews and Toppers Pizza are donating lunch to the volunteers and staff that are part of Distribution Week. Those interested in volunteering can visit DuluthSA/Volunteer for more information or call 218-722-7934.
Happy Tails Animal Hospital, 1327 Banks Ave., Superior, is holding a fundraiser for the rescues they serve: Northern Lakes Rescue, PJ's Rescue and Warm Fuzzies Animal Rescue Inc. They will match up to $750 in funds that are donated through December. Call 715-718-2130 or email HappyTailssuperior@gmail.com.