- Fall Fest, today (Oct. 18) through Sunday, Oct. 20, Our Savior’s Evangelical Lutheran Church (ELCA), 4831 Grand Ave. Features Best of the West Variety show, 7 p.m. today with a number of local acts including Bill Bastian; Artisan Fair, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 19, with lunch served from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Fall Fest free activities include an obstacle course, pumpkin decorating, face painting, crafts from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 19. A scarecrow decorating contest will be held from 10 a.m. to noon with people's choice judges at noon; prizes at 12:30 p.m. On Sunday, Oct. 20, features a special 130th Our Savior’s Anniversary Celebration “Building on Our Past, Serving Faithfully Forward” with church tours at 9:20 a.m., worship at 10:15 a.m., and historic recipe lunch at 11:30 a.m. Call 218-624-3648, visit the Fall Fest Facebook Event at facebook.com/events/2511741652394134/ or facebook.com/events/230398504538397/ or go to oursaviorsduluth.org.
- Bob King "Astro Bob, will sign his new book, "Urban Legends from Space," 11 a.m. followed by a discussion at noon Saturday, Oct. 19, Barnes & Noble, Miller Hill Mall. Mention Carlton Schools on this date and Barnes & Noble will donated a percent of your sale to the science program.
- Get your tickets to the 20th annual Orchestra Story-Hour, 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 19, Weber Music Hall, UMD. This family-friendly concert features lesser-known pieces, including "The Queen of Spades" overture, "The Noonday Witch," "From the Black Belt" and many more. Tickets: $15 or adults, $10 for seniors and veterans, $8 for ages 13-18 and free for UMD students and ages 12 and younger. Call 218-726-8877 or go to z.umn.edu/OrchStoryHour or tickets.umn.edu.
- Check out the 17th annual senior expo, now called the GO show, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 22, DECC. Features vendors, prizes, live music by the Chmielewski Funtime Band, Rickey Lee, John Seguin and sampling of craft beer and root beer by Lake Superior Brewing. A limited number of free tickets are still available at Walgreen Pharmacy Departments in Duluth, Superior, Cloquet, Virginia and Hibbing as well as from Mediqwest in Superior, Big Daddy’s Burgers in Piedmont Heights and Benna Ford Roush in Superior. Tickets are $6 at the door. Go to goshowexpo.com or call 218-727-1177.
- Attend the Scream or Sugar Show, 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 24, Wussow's Concert Cafe, 324 N. Central Ave. Features Camille & Co., Boss Mama and the Jebberhooch along with The Last Band, musicians from the CHOICE, unlimited music class. Admission: $7, $5 in costume.
- Makes plans to take part in Grandma's Marathon Halloween-themed race, North End Nightmare 5K, 5 p.m. Oct. 26, Top Hat Tavern, Superior. The two-lap course will feature hair-raising, Halloween-themed areas to entertain the runner. Cost: $30 by Thursday, Oct. 24, or $35. Entry fee for children ages 6-15 is $15. A free Spider Dash race will be held at 4 p.m. for ages 14 and younger. All 5K participants will receive a North End Nightmare 5K hooded sweatshirt. All kids in the Spider Dash will receive a commemorative, mummy tote bag perfect for trick-or-treating. Go to grandmasmarathon.com to register. Caution: Children may find some of the themed areas along the 5K course to be frightening. For more details on what to expect, please 218-727-0947 prior to registering. Net proceeds from the event benefit the YAF.
Glensheen Historic Estate, 3300 London Road, Duluth, offers a 39-room mansion and 7 acres of formal gardens and working vegetable gardens. Grounds hours: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily with tours offered from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Visit glensheen.org or call (218) 726-8910.
Duluth Children’s Museum, 115 S. 29th Ave. W., Duluth, offers programs and exhibits for children and families. Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays and noon to 5 p.m. Sundays. Visit playduluth.org or call (218) 733-7543.
Duluth Depot, 506 W. Michigan St., includes Lake Superior Railroad Museum, Duluth Art Institute, St. Louis County Historical Society and Veterans’ Memorial Hall. Hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Visit duluthdepot.org or call (218) 727-8025.
Douglas County Historical Society, 1101 John Ave., Superior, offers exhibits, events and history theater. Hours are 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesdays and Thursdays and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. Call (715) 392-8449 or go to douglashistory.org.
Great Lakes Aquarium, 353 Harbor Drive, Duluth, models a number of habitats from the Great Lakes and around the world. Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. Visit glaquarium.org or call (218) 740-3474.
Lake Superior Zoo, 7210 Fremont St., Duluth, is the only zoo in Northeastern Minnesota and Northwestern Wisconsin. It features a wide variety of animals and educational displays. Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily through Labor Day. Visit lszooduluth.org or call (218) 730-4500.
North Shore Scenic Railroad, 506 W. Michigan St., Duluth. Go to duluthtrains.com or call (218) 722-1273 for details.
The Lake Superior & Mississippi Railroad, The River Train, offers tourist excursion rides along the St Louis River. The 1946 Switch Engine & 100+ yr old coaches provide a leisurely trip over part of the original 1870s tracks into Duluth. Available 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Saturdays & Sundays. Buy tickets on-line at lsmrr.org.