Tiny town of Meadowlands to host Central St. Louis County Fair this weekend
Events include parade, kids' games, live music and more Friday through Sunday.
MEADOWLANDS — The smallest community in St. Louis County to host a fair celebrates the return of its volunteer-run, three-day event this weekend.
The Central St. Louis County Fair, located in Meadowlands, a city of 134 residents about 50 minutes northwest of Duluth, starts Friday, Aug. 19.
“What we lack in barns of livestock and gut-turning rides, we make up for in good ol’ fashioned fun with family and friends,” the fair's president, Angie Simonson, said in a news release Monday.
New events include kids' water balloon dodgeball and a car show with awards like "The Cop Magnet" and "Your Vroom, Vroom Brings All the Girls to the Lot."
“This event is 100% volunteer-based by people who love this town and the supporting communities of Cotton, Alborn, Elmer and Toivola," Simonson said in the news release. "When we (the fair board) remember to take a minute from running between events to actually see the community chatting, laughing and having fun, there’s really an overwhelming feeling of pride and joy for this little fair that could."
Most Central St. Louis County Fair events take place at the community park. Food vendors and raffles will be at the park and Community Center all weekend. Find more information at meadowlandsfair.net and at the " Meadowlands Fair" page on Facebook .
The Central St. Louis County Fair is one of four fairs in the county, including the Southwest St. Louis County Fair in Floodwood, Aug. 26-28; the St. Louis County Fair in Chisholm, Aug. 3-7; and the South St. Louis County Fair in Proctor, July 27-31.
Central St. Louis County Fair schedule
- Bigger Better Bingo, 6-8 p.m., Trailside Lounge and Grill, 994 Spruce St.
- Fireworks, start at dark, approximately 9 p.m.
- The Sonny Side band, 9 p.m.-midnight, Trailside.
- River-to-River Run/Walk, 8:30 a.m. Prizes for winners; T-shirts and treats for all. Kids' fun run after the 5K. Free; registration required.
- Big Button Hunt, first clue posted at 10 a.m. at the Community Center, 7758 Western Ave. Win a cash prize.
- Kid/Teen Basketball Shootout, 11:15 a.m. Kids up to age 12 shoot free throws; kids age 13 and up shoot 3-pointers.
- Kids games and Cook's Country Connection petting zoo, 1-3 p.m. Classic fair games, 1-2 p.m.; water balloon dodgeball, 2-3 p.m.
- Jake Birdseye band, 3-5 p.m.
- Meadowlands Fire Department Bean Bag Tournament, 4 p.m., Trailside.
- Empire band, 5-7 p.m.
- Street dance, 8:30 p.m.-12:30 a.m., Trailside. Music by Merchants of Swill.
- Parade, 11:30 a.m.
- Lahti Farm Coin Dig, 12:30 p.m.
- Car show, after parade until 2 p.m.
- Youth tractor pull, 12:30 p.m. registration, pull at 1 p.m.
- Bingo in the park, 1:30-3:30 p.m.
- Kids lip sync and talent contest, 2:30 p.m., Trailside. Props and costumes encouraged.