Freimuth's Department Store was located in downtown Duluth at the corner of Superior Street and Lake Avenue, on the site of what is now an open plaza next to the Minnesota Power building, where the city Christmas tree is displayed each year.
According to articles in the News Tribune files, the store was founded in 1883, and moved to the corner of Superior and Lake in 1900. It closed in October 1961, and at that time it was called Duluth's oldest
After the department store closed, the building -- known as the Fowler Building -- sat largely vacant for several years. It was acquired, along with the neighboring Fidelity Building, in 1968 by a group called Duluth Downtown Properties Inc., and was razed in April of that year.
In November 1968, the News-Tribune reported that the group wanted to remodel the Fidelity Building "for use as a motor hotel of about 100 units. It would be in conjunction with a parking ramp and retail shops to be constructed on the site of the Freimuth Building."
The Fidelity Building lingered until April 1977, when it, too, met the wrecking ball.
For more photos and stories from the News Tribune archives, visit the News Tribune Attic online at attic.areavoices.com.