Exhibits of art and poetry celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore are on display from noon to 5 p.m. daily, through Sunday, June 20, Washburn Cultural Center, 1 E. Bayfield St., Washburn. The exhibit will be virtual as well. Go to washburnculturalcenter.com.
Lee Radzak, longtime former site manager for Split Rock Lighthouse, will sign copies of his book, "The View from Split Rock: A Lighthouse Keeper's Life," 1-6 p.m. Saturday, June 19 at the lighthouse. The book, written with Curt Brown, takes readers into the everyday experiences of a lighthouse keeper at Split Rock.
Climate Emergency Poetry events, the third Sunday of the month. Check the CEP Facebook page to learn where each month’s reading will take place. Click on “Event.” 5 p.m. Sunday, June 20: Joyce Sutphen, Connie Wanek, Thom Tammaro. These 3 poets together co-edited "To Sing Along the Way: Minnesota Women Poets from Pre-Territorial Days to the Present" (New Rivers Press, 2006), recipient of the 2007 Midwest Booksellers’ Honor Award for Poetry. July 18: guest host: recent UMD grad Stine Myrah introducing her own list of climate advocates. Aug 15: Twin Ports public figures.
The Bookstore at Fitger's, 600 E. Superior St., offers these events. Call 218-727-9077 or go to fitgersbookstore.com.
7 p.m. June 26: Marty Essen will speak and sign copies of his book, "Hits, Heathens, and Hippos: Stories from an Agent, Activist, and Author" in the Spirit of the North Theatre.
- 1-3 p.m. July 3: Sarah Bamford Seidelman will be signing books and her "How Good Are You Willing to Let It Get" card decks.
- 1-3 p.m. July 10: Cary J. Griffith will be signing copies of his book "Wolf Kill: A Sam Rivers Mystery."
- 4-6 p.m. July 10: Stacey Potter will be signing copies of her book "The Project."
- 4-6 p.m. July 17: Nathan Johnson will sign copies of his book "Highway 61 Through Minnesota" (a new Images of America book).
- 5-7 p.m. July 23: Allison Mann will sign copies of her new book "Fallen Woman."
- 2-4 p.m. July 24: Allison Mann will be joined by Linda May Spencer and Emily Jean (the co-authors of "Fallen Woman").
- Noon to 2 p.m. July 31: Kathy Groth will be signing copies of her new children's book "Sunken: Shipwrecks of Lake Superior."
The submission period for Ariel Anthology Vol. 8 is open July 1-31. Adult poets living in Wisconsin are eligible to submit two poems on the theme of "Water." Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request the complete submission guidelines.
Title: "The View From Split Rock: A Lighthouse Keeper's Life"
Author: Lee Radzak with Curt Brown
Synopsis: In 1982, Lee Radzak and his wife, Jane, moved into the middle keeper's house, launching Lee's career as the resident site manager for the Minnesota Historical Society. Over the next 36 years, they raised a family, marveled at the lake's beauty, enduring gigantic storms and answered the questions posed by more than four million visitors.
Working with journalist and author Curt Brown, Radzak takes readers into the everyday experiences, the remarkable surprises and the seasonal round of the life of a lighthouse keeper at Split Rock. He also discusses stories of its keepers, the technology that powered the light and foghorns and his decision in 1985 to light the beacon in memory of the crew of the SS Edmund Fitzgerald.
Cost: $19.95; ebook $9.99
Publisher: Minnesota Historical Society Press
Contact info: shop.mnhs.org