Things to Do
Check out the inaugural Furry Film Festival and Movie Premier Social, an Animal Allies Humane Society fundraiser, 5-8 p.m. today, Fitger's Complex, third floor, August Fitger Room and Spirit of the North Theatre, 600 E. Superior St. Tickets: $25. Go to www.fitgersfilmfest.com or purchase at the door.
Attend The County Seat Theater Company's "The Great Nursing Home Escape," 7 p.m. today and Saturday and Thursday through Feb, 16 as well as 2 p.m. Sunday and Feb. 17, Encore Performing Arts Center, 2035 Highway 33 S., Cloquet. Tickets: $18 for Feb. 8 with opening reception at 6 p.m. or $14 for adults, $10 for students for other performances. Go to www.countyseattheater.com or call (218) 878-0071.
Don't miss the annual candlelight event, 6-9 p.m. Saturday, Jay Cooke State Park, 780 Highway 210, Carlton. Walk, snowshoe or ski on 1.8 miles of trail lit by candlelight then warm up around a fire with hot cocoa and live music. Volunteers needed from 1-2:30 p.m. to set-up liminiaries, 4:30-6 p.m. to light them and from 9-10 p.m. to take them down. Call Kristine at (218) 673-7005 if you would like to volunteer.
Enjoy the sounds of the Lake Superior Ragtime Society, 1-4 p.m. Sunday, Concordia Lutheran Church, 1708 John Ave., Superior. Free.
Zenith City on Tap, 7 p.m. Wednesday, Glensheen Historic Estate, 3300 London Road. Topic: "For the People, By the People: Duluth's Park System, 1889-2019." Go to www.glensheen.org.
Take your sweetheart to the University of Wisconsin-Superior's Jazz Band Valentine's Swing Dance, 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Yellowjacket Union, green room, 1605 Catlin Ave., Superior. Tickets: $5 for adults, $3 for seniors and free for UWS students. Call (715) 394-8115.
Get your tickets now for University of Wisconsin-Superior Theatre presents "I and You," 7:30 p.m. Feb. 15-16, Feb. 22-23 as well as 2 p.m. Feb. 17 and Feb. 24, Experimental Theatre, Holden Fine and Applied Arts Center, 1805 Catlin Ave., Superior. Tickets: $15 for adults, $10 for seniors and non-UWS students and $5 for UWS students with ID. Call (715) 394-8380 for reservations.
Plan to attend Rubber Chicken Theater presents Melody Mendis and her Valentine's Day Barbra Streisand tribute show, "With Love from Barbra," 7:30 p.m. Feb. 15-16 as 2 p.m. Feb. 17, Spirit of the North Theater, Fitger's Complex, 600 E. Superior St. Tickets: $25 for adults, $20 for students and seniors. Go to www.RubberChickenTheater.com or call (218) 213-2780.
• Glensheen Historic Estate, 3300 London Road, Duluth, offers a 39-room mansion and 7 acres of formal gardens and working vegetable gardens. Grounds hours: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily with tours offered from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. Visit www.glensheen.org or call (218) 726-8910.
• Duluth Children's Museum, 115 S. 29th Ave. W., Duluth, offers programs and exhibits for children and families. Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays and noon to 5 p.m. Sundays. Visit www.playduluth.org or call (218) 733-7543.
• Duluth Depot, 506 W. Michigan St., includes Lake Superior Railroad Museum, Duluth Art Institute, St. Louis County Historical Society and Veterans' Memorial Hall. Hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Visit www.duluthdepot.org or call (218) 727-8025.
• Douglas County Historical Society, 1101 John Ave., Superior, offers exhibits, events and history theater. Hours are 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesdays and Thursdays and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. Call (715) 392-8449 or go to www.douglashistory.org.
• Great Lakes Aquarium, 353 Harbor Drive, Duluth, models a number of habitats from the Great Lakes and around the world. Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. Visit www.glaquarium.org or call (218) 740-3474.
• Lake Superior Zoo, 7210 Fremont St., Duluth, is the only zoo in Northeastern Minnesota and Northwestern Wisconsin. It features a wide variety of animals and educational displays. Hours: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday through Monday. Visit www.lszooduluth.org or call (218) 730-4500.
• North Shore Scenic Railroad, 506 W. Michigan St., Duluth. Go to www.northshorescenicrailroad.org or call (218) 722-1273 for details.